anyone seafoamed 318's?

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
i have a 77dodge aspen with a 318 im wondering if it has carbon buildup i was wondering has anyone used the vacum gose part on these old v8's? ut has a hose off the brake booster im guessing thats a vacume line my a bodie only hasd a single bore.but the car just kinda has no guts and hills suck. what vacum line would u use?

I would try the water down the TB trick before I would waste my money on snakefoam.

I have always used marvel mystery oil as a good engine cleaner.
I run it in the gas and the oil all the time.
I think running it threw the entire fuel system is best.
After you run the car for a little while with it,do a full tune up and most importantly TIME THE ENGINE.
With the total timing set at 30 to 36 total it will clean up the carbon pretty quickly as long as the carb isn't to rich.

Make sure you adjust your carb idle screws with a vacuum gauge.
Set the idle and sut the car off.
Then turn all the screws on the carb down till they just bottom out.
Then back them out two full turns.
Start the engine and with the vacuum gauge hooked up to a vacuum port at the base of the carb or somewhere on the manifold,adjust the screws in or out to obtain the highest reading on your vacuum gauge.
As the idle gets higher from obtaining a better setting, re-adjust the idle back down to where you had it before you started adjusting the screws.
When you get the highest reading stop and drive the car and see what you think.

I went into detail because the two biggest things that cause carbon build up in engines is a rich carb and retarded ignition timing.
Also a pour runninmg engine will cause carbon to build up also.
Remember to make sure you have your radiator full with coolant.
When a cars engine starts making more power it tends to start making more heat. Good luck. A tune-up is a good place to start.:cya:

never done a big motor, but it works extremely well on the quads i work on, especially the FI with a clogged injector screen, i have never heard anyone use it and say they didnt gain one thing or another.

i did a tune up changed evreything i havnt timed it but im having a issue witchshifting heres my problem i hope someonbe can hlp me.when i start the car its fine when i shift into rev/drive it shakes the carforward when enfafes and a puff of white/blue smoke puffs out and smells rotton eggs she runs fine no slipping but we had to make it a lil more rich to compensate for it dieing from shifting cause it wqould shake and engage so hard it would stall.anyone got ideas.

ut has a hose off the brake booster im guessing thats a vacume line my a bodie only hasd a single bore.but the car just kinda has no guts and hills suck. what vacum line would u use?

If I understand correctly, you have the hose off the brake booster, if that's true you have a HUGE vacuum leak. Of course it wont idle in gear. Reinstall/ replace that hose, re tune and see if that doesn't help. Of course if the booster is bad (hissing noise from it while engine is running) it wont help.

Start it up,pull hose from brake booster pour 1/2 can in shut off,re-connect hose,let sit 5 mins,re-start.Don't do it in your driveway if your neighbors are close,they wont like it!

Put some in your tank, too. Snake foam, what a laugh. It works great on your weed eater too.

thx guys for the great help i ended up doing a 1/2 can in oil 1/2 can in gas and we did the timing today she runs pretty smooth i have to say alot smoother then b4 but i also cause my dads like a pro at carb tuning u asked him if he could and now the gas milage is better and hills are kinda still lame but so much better.and i bveleive the park idle was way to high cause we turned it down and now no jerking when shifts or at least alot less .prolly need new universals too.

thx dabo thx dad!

-
Back