Anyone sell a power steering hose that is not so long?

-

B Taylor

Reaction score
I am going through the car replacing all rubber lines and the PS is next. But I hate the stock long PS hose. Does anyone sell a shorter one so I do not have to loop it or should I just go to a hose shop and have one made???

There are a couple ways with your custom made hose.
If your fittings are regular inverted flare,straight or 90 degree fittings work great.
Go buy fittings,fit them to pump and box.measure amount of hose needed, have them show you where to measure on the fittings.
Cut hose, insert into fittings,then mark fitting to hose to index it. Return to store for final pressing of hose fittings.

3/8" two wire braid is stiff hose, it wont twist. If you can leave extra for engine movement thats better.
Flush the line with solvent and air before you install it.

Another type of fitting reuses your steel lines,utilizing a nut and ferrule, had one done on saturday. It works well, a collet inside nut crimps onto line and seals when you tighten it.
Weatherhead part number for the common 3/8" steel line is 06U-756.

Hydraulic hose can be cut with a hand grinder/cutoff wheel. So you could buy approx what you need and cut it as necessary. Still need to return to press it.

Pull hose and post up a good pic of the ends.

Shouldn't have to loop it (I don't in my 65 Dart). A hydraulic shop should be able to custom-make the hose, but you need to provide the metal fittings and mark the desired clocking. I used 2-wire hose (3000 psig rated) in my 1984 M-B, though the factory hose was non-steel (nylon cord?). It has "field repairable" fittings which I unscrewed w/ box wrenches (perhaps what Tooljunkie suggests). But, your Mopar uses crimped ferrules. Oeticker step-less ear clamps might work, especially if you use 2 on each fitting, and avoid a shop trip. They look fairly slick. Early A's w/ the TRW pump have a HP hose w/ two sizes. A transition piece in the middle changes the size. That was at least thru 1968, and also in B bodies. My 65 Newport is similar but reduces size within the fitting at the gearbox end. If you want to shorten yourself, cut-off/peel the ferrule on the small hose end, cut the hose shorter and clamp it to the fitting.

any pictures of power steering added to a straight six, I have pump & bkts from
68 b body, need pictures of how to make mounting bkts.

Might be better to start a new thread,as its irrelevant to this one.

Young,

Depends on the year. I had to swap the valve body on top of the gearbox to get the proper fitting to match the hose I put on my 1965 Dart. The H.P. fitting probably screws into a threaded port on the valve body, as your question suggests. I forget. If so, I am sure it isn't a pipe thread, but a straight thread, w/ either a copper flat washer or a corner O-ring seal. That could vary w/ year.

In my case, the hose changed because I changed from the factory TRW pump to the similar-looking Federal (or "Chrysler") pump. The pump changed because no brackets for the TRW pump to fit the later aluminum water pump. The w.p. changed to match the ~1972 radiator, which was all I could order from Autozone at the time. Your house-of-cards may vary.

The hose for the Federal pump has O-ring fittings at both ends, as I recall. The earlier TRW pump uses inverted flare fittings. The Saginaw pump (1970's) has another hose, if I recall. The hose sizes also vary, at least true for the return hose. They don't make it easy.

-
Back