Anyone tried to install urathane grease boots on torsion bars?

-

buck351

Reaction score
I was replacing the torsion bars and figured I'd get new grease boots. They are polyurathane. I spent like 20 minutes trying to get one to go over the hex end of the torsion bar with no luck and some choice words. Has anyone gotten them to work? Maybe I'll just use the existing rubber ones.

Boil water, turn the burner off, throw the boots in the hot water for about a minute or so and they slip over easier.

Others say that you can put a lot of grease on them, place a piece of wood under the boot and stand the bar on the end, set on the boot. You then take anothe 2x4 wood and place it on top of the bar, smack the top piece of wood with a 4-5 lb. hammer and the torsion bar slides right in with one good hit.

This may sound stupid but I took deep sockets and started small and worked my way up to the hex dia, I used a small amount of grease went on easy.

Moe

well there is no reason to use poly boots as they are just a cap... but i have heated them up with a torch for set and they go right on and after they cool will go on and off like a rubber... boot...

Put them in boiling water for a minute or two. Put some grease on the end of the torsion bar. They should slide right on with little effort..

i put grease on em and pushed em on with my hands,it wasn't easy but they went on.i will use the rubber boots from now on...

well there is no reason to use poly boots as they are just a cap...

The poly boots sell for like $9.99.

Replacements for the stock rubber ones run as much as $35, although they usually include those dumb, 5 cents worth of wire, retaining clips. Which you can replace with an snap ring style retainer for a few cents from the local hardware store. The replacement rubber boots and clips are a scam, not sure how they get that much for them.

Plus, the poly one are quite a bit more resistant to tearing. Just drop them in hot water for a few minutes and they're a piece of cake to install.

This may sound stupid but I took deep sockets and started small and worked my way up to the hex dia, I used a small amount of grease went on easy.

Moe

I tried this suggestion and it worked. Have to be fast when you push out the socket while sliding it on the bar since the poly shrinks back pretty quick.

I was replacing the torsion bars and figured I'd get new grease boots. They are polyurathane. I spent like 20 minutes trying to get one to go over the hex end of the torsion bar with no luck and some choice words. Has anyone gotten them to work? Maybe I'll just use the existing rubber ones.

And your questioning me on how to adjust torsion bars ?
Just saying.

I cut the tapered end of an old plastic transmission funnel to where it was about the same size as the hex end of the torsion bars, lubed the boot and the funnel end and shoved them on. I tried a crapload of other ways, this was the easiest for me.

x3 on the sockets.

i spayed a little wd-40 on the bars and with a little bit of pusing they went on.

I used the hot water method and they were fairly easy to install. I always use poly over rubber whenever possible, since it will last forever. So tired of replacing worn out rubber on old cars all these years!

-
Back