Anyone try or know someone who has tried this?

-

dddDuster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Might make TorqStorm on my slant an even better idea!
IMG_0520.png

The problem is I don’t think you can make it work with the TorqStorm. No room to mount the compressor…

Air conditioning in Colorado? Really?

I live on the plains, not in the mountains Rob. It gets hot here, 90-100 July, Aug, Sept. I‘m old, the interior of the car is black, I want the A/C!!!

You just ain't driving fast enough.

That kit looks sketch AF. Does it include the plug to plug into cigar lighter, too, or does it have a solar panel that you lay on the dash?

It reeks of made in China bullshit, and even though I'm upwind, I can smell it from here.

I think you'd be better off to tap into a can of Freon and just let it vent in the car instead of installing that universal fit monstrosity.

The compressor is rated at 8900 BTU, but the evap is rated about 32000 btu. That is a big mismatch. Need one heck of a electrical system. From the specs published at start up need almost 85 amps. Running about 45 amps.

I live on the plains, not in the mountains Rob. It gets hot here, 90-100 July, Aug, Sept. I‘m old, the interior of the car is black, I want the A/C!!!
Every single EV & some HEVs are using them but....they're designed to & can use more than 12v since those vehicles run multiple system voltages.
You are going to have to make an entire wiring harness & charging upgrade along with running a larger battery, BIG ones, or else You'll watch all that work go up in flames.

Thanks all, yeah, the electrical requirements are terrifying. I think y’all have walked me off the edge, back to figuring out how to get a compressor wrapped around or under the TorqStorm…

Just a FYI: Back about 20 years ago, GE and Sanden did a joint project with a variable speed electric compressor, and a totally sealed system, (like a window unit). The idea at that time was to prevent freon leaks, from hoses, and a rotating compressor shaft seal. The complete unit would fit into a compartment in the vehicle and match up to the duct work. If something went wrong with the ac unit, it would just slide out, and be repaired on the bench, or the complete unit replaced with a new one. I don't know all the reasons why the idea didn't fly, but one was the auto manufactures didn't want to upgrade their electrical systems. I can't remember the requirement, but it was over 48 volts.

-
Back