Anyone try the Edelbrock VRS-4250 Carb yet?

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I was watching a Graveyard, Cars episode today, and they put an Edelbrock VRS-4150 carburetor on an engine. It is a Holley look alike carb. I
IMG_7847.png
IMG_7846.png
thought it was a nice looking carburetor, and I have had a couple of Edelbrock carburetors on my 340 over the years that worked very well. I just wondered if anybody has tried one yet?

We had an engine on the dyno at Vrbancic Bros in Ontario Ca a couple weeks ago. Right next door is The Carb Shop and he had a bunch of edlebrock vrs-4150s in all states of disassembly in his shop. I got to “crawl all over” a few of them and I gotta say I like just about everything about them so far. I’d like to run one.

They look really nice and their description sounds nice, but I think a lot of people are going to go down the black hole of tuning and never get them right. They have SO MANY adjustments, it's gonna be tough for some.

They look really nice and their description sounds nice, but I think a lot of people are going to go down the black hole of tuning and never get them right. They have SO MANY adjustments, it's gonna be tough for some.
I said that exact same thing, some people will definitely tune themselves in to a corner on those things.

Unity motorsports on YouTube has 3-4 videos on that carb including one of a tour of Edelbrock where they are made.

Keep in mind that carb is race bred, it has no choke and more than likely will be sensitive to weather and elevation changes.
While it may run like a striped assed ape and probably does, it may not be a real good choice for a street car.

A QFT 850 is is over $1100, all carbs are expensive anymore
Agree. The new stuff seems to be over bled so you'd need to see what calibration Edelbrock put in their carbs.

Far easier to find an early list Holley for cheap and get it rebuilt by a reputable carb builder. At least the early Holley's were make correctly and have the correctly sized internal passages and calibrations to suit.

1k for a holley knockoff with a few extras is insane!!
Looks to be a taller carb so the air travelling down the bore will most likely increase shear force (better) as opposed to the Holley chokeless main body design.

Quick Fuel/Holley are tried and true.. Edelbrock has a name for itself, but not in the 4150 series world. It's like comparing summits house carb to a holley it's a close lookalike without the aftermarket support, it's not something everyone has, or you'd find on the shelf when broke down.

A QFT 850 is is over $1100, all carbs are expensive anymore

I think there is a lot of bias towards them because they are not a Holley. All the adjustability without manually modifying it. Big fuel bowls , multiple circuits etc…. I can’t believe I haven’t found a tuning video on them for street cars. I would think they would be great for big cam engines.

Allegedly lots of development time and effort into that carb. Only time will tell how good or bad it is, it hasn't been out for that long (<3 years?). Iirc Holley made it known that their long-term business goals are with EFI systems and are kind of giving up on carbs; Edelbrock figured this out and decided to make a "be-all-end-all" performance carb to grab more of the market that Holley's giving up on.

If someone wants to give me $900 I'll buy one and try it on the 360 in my Duster, 750 CFM version should be just right thank you very much... Lmao

Quick Fuel/Holley are tried and true.. Edelbrock has a name for itself, but not in the 4150 series world. It's like comparing summits house carb to a holley it's a close lookalike without the aftermarket support, it's not something everyone has, or you'd find on the shelf when broke down.

Summit carb is its own animal entirely, kinda resembles a Holley but it's not a copy like QFT etc. The main body and bowls are a single unit with a top plate that comes off for disassembly and tuning. Engine Masters (RIP :() tested one against a few other "new" street carbs and it worked well. Better than the Street Demon like I have on my car, bummer.

The summit carb is a copy of a FoMoCo carburetor that Holley manufactured for ford.

Edited to add;
I may be wrong. It looks like the autolite 4 barrels were not manufactured by Holley. I’ll have to dig in to this a bit. I actually own one on a 64 galaxie I should know.

-
Back