Anyone try using the thermo-control that's built into some electric fan shrouds?

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
Went out to my local pick-n-pull and grabbed an electric fan.

The one I got came out of a '96 Mercury Mystique. I noticed that it has what appears to be a thermostatic coil built into the shroud on the lower driverside corner.

Has anybody tried wiring one of these up to control the fan? I'm not certain if it needs a control unit thing or not. Still need to google it but thought I'd hop on FABO and see if anyone else has messed with one.

Poked around online a bit and it seems that it is a resistor. So I'm thinking I tie this in series with the coil side of the relay so once it heats up enough (and I'm guessing the resistance drops), the relay will flip and turn the fan on. What do y'all think?

Also, this fan has two speeds but the car it came from only used one. I figure I'll just wire up "high" to a switch so I can flip it on if things get too toasty. Have any of you used 2-speed fans without AC?

I am using the Volvo dual speed fan relay to power my 2 spd Mark VIII fan. It works great with a BMW dual thermo switch to actuate the fans as needed. If you google the Mark VIII/Volvo/BMW you should find all the info on it.

If your radiator has the emissions thingy in the top tank it is easily replaced by the temp sensor. Alternatively, you could swap the petcock for the sender, too.

This is a short video showing my cooling setup part way through.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z44-lvjCHQ"]20150726 172508 - YouTube[/ame]

I am not keen on manually operated fans. Automating the system can be pretty cheap. Volvo relay cost $25 used, BMW temp switch, wiring, and connector about $40 total. You already have the fan...

The switch turns fan on at low speed, and if the switch tells the relay high speed is needed it automatically ramps into high speed while turning off low speed. These factory fans work so well most times high speed is rarely needed.

-
Back