Anyone use B body brakes on the A's

-

65deuce

Reaction score
I recently scored an 8-3/4 housing for my Dart, and figured since I'm gonna use aftermarket axles, I may as well upgrade the brakes. I went with a set of 11x2-1/2, I don't know exactly what they came off of but 74 charger seemed to bring up suitable replacement parts.

Is this alittle overkill with discs up front? Will a 74 A-body master cylinder be able to provide enough fluid?

Ought to be okay. Make sure your master cylinder is for disk brakes (one reservoir larger than the other) and that you have a disk brake proportioning valve. If your 74 Dart already has disk brakes, you have those requirements covered.

Given that the 11" brakes are larger than those originally on the Dart, you might want to keep an eye on brake balance. If you find the rears consistently locking up first, you would do well to find an adjustable proportioning valve to redistribute more braking force to the front wheels.

If one axle or the other has to lock, it's best to lock the front. The car will slide in the direction it is pointed. If the rears lock first, the backend is inclined to want to pass the front.

I put a b-body diff from a '69 coronet R/T in my 73 duster and used the larger brakes / backing plates on it. I have no issues as of yet and all is working good. I figured that more braking surface can't hurt anything!

-
Back