anyone use stainless steen nut/bolts on motor ?

-
Yes ... every fastener under hood should be stainless... motor, firewall, fender wells.... if not stainless the ole rust and run starts happening. If not stainless then it needs to be painted. I went stainless on everything I could when I did my engine bay and motor install.

Waste of money IMHO. If you're not planning on leaving your car out all winter in the snow and salt, not to mention driving it in that ****, the factory stuff will be fine and will come apart in 10 years just fine.

boats run stainless steel...I use it on custom Harley Choppers...when you got to Daytona, you have to was that Harley every day because of the salt spray...I would'nt mind taking my Dart to the beaches...anyone else have good/bad experiances...I think more of the draw backs then the $$..the $$ dif. isnt much..

I used stainless on everything but trans and flexplate.

The only places I prefer stainless is the 2 in the thermostat housing and the corners of exhaust manifolds. Those that put the end in water.

I used them every place possible. I took standard stainless steel bolts from a local industrial supplier and sanded down the tops and then polished them. They look great and are plenty strong. I'm on the ocean so I don't want rust problems. Although, painting the stock bolts works just as well. I just like the aesthethics.

I used them in a good many places when I done our last resto. I made sure to use anti seaze on them...
C

I've used www.totallystainless.com for years. They are good people out of (around) Gettysburg, PA. They even carr some grade 8 equivelant S/S hardware. Or call 717-677-8811, they have about every type of s/s fastner you coud think of.

just remember that these are dissimilar metals and prome to gall. if you use s/s fasteners remember to use an anti-seize product to lube the threads. you may want to take that bolt out someday.IMHO.

I've used www.totallystainless.com for years. They are good people out of (around) Gettysburg, PA. They even carr some grade 8 equivelant S/S hardware. Or call 717-677-8811, they have about every type of s/s fastner you coud think of.

great ref. here's my stainless
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

If you have ceramic coated headers or manifolds, most places who do the coatings (me included) recommend customers use only stainless bolts on not just the headers/manifolds, but also on your valve cover bolts above them. Some places won't honor the warranty on a "rust and run" (great term there Mully lol) if stainless hardware wasn't used. As mentioned already, anti-seize is a must.

-
Back