Anyone using 16" Split-spoke Mustang wheels on their car?

-

BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMember
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheap set of alum. wheels for my '73 Dart and I've found a set of 16" splitspoke Mustang wheels for sale locally.

I've found they have a 5.27" backspacing and are 7" wide.
Anyone know how these wheels would fit in relation to the balljoint?
Spacers needed to get the tire away from the balljoint?

Attachments

• SplitSpoke.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 486
A lot is going to depend on the make and size of tire you use. A 235/60-15 (or -16) is going to present a 9.5" wide tire on a 7" wide rim using BFG T/As. The rolling diameter is going to be a little over 27 inches.

The 5.27" back space is a red flag to me. Mopar rims typically have a 4¼" to 4½" backspace. My concern is that the rims would put the tire into the rear springs. I tried 255/60-15 tires on cop car wheels on my Demon and the rear tires were almost on the stock located springs when sitting still and rubbing in anything other than a gentle corner.

In the front, there may be problems with the control rods, as well as the UBJ. FWIW I tried 255s on the front of the Demon and control rods rubbed on the outside wheel, the top of the fender rubbed on the inside. In fact, when I went to 235s, I still had to massage the fenders a little to get rub-free real world operation.

I had some V6 Mustang wheels laying around so I could roll my car once the swap was complete. The wheels won't fit on the front because the hub is too large. Here's what those wheels looked like:

3320860079_large.jpg

I'm thinking they should fit the rear. Front is where you may run into the issue. Nothing a spacer shouldn't be able to fix...

Here is a 17x8 wheel with 5.72 backspace and a 225/50-17 tire on the rear of Jamie's old dart. It's a large bolt pattern (big car brakes) stock sized housing 8 3/4 rear. Springs are also in the stock location...

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

No closer to rubbing the springs the a 245/60-14 on stock rims. And the wheel your looking at has about a half inch less backspace.

DSC00039.jpg

No. The front will be the issue. Just wanted to show the rear shouldn't be an issue. Spacer may be all that's needed up front though

-
Back