Anyone using a Gear Venders O/D unit?

-

cecil4speed

Reaction score
Hi. New to this but I'm gonna give it a try. Sorry I'm not really a computer guy. I'm going to ask a question as I'm looking for past and present experience with Gear Vender Overdrives. Just wondering if anyone has used them or are using them and what sort of experience you've had. I'm considering using one on my 68 Dart GTS 340,4-speed,3:55 rear,24" tires. This is a driver and with gas prices the way they are, I thought an o/d would be the way to go, as I would like to run much lower grs, maybe even as low as 4:30 or 4:56. Thanks.

Hi. New to this but I'm gonna give it a try. Sorry I'm not really a computer guy. I'm going to ask a question as I'm looking for past and present experience with Gear Vender Overdrives. Just wondering if anyone has used them or are using them and what sort of experience you've had. I'm considering using one on my 68 Dart GTS 340,4-speed,3:55 rear,24" tires. This is a driver and with gas prices the way they are, I thought an o/d would be the way to go, as I would like to run much lower grs, maybe even as low as 4:30 or 4:56. Thanks.

This is a great question, I wish someone could share some info.

This is a great question, I wish someone could share some info.

Ask HemiDenny about his gear vendors. He loves it. Duster, Hemi, 4 speed, 430? gears and a gear vendors. 2200 RPM at 70 MPH. Don't trust me on the numbers because its late and I'm having a rum or eight but Denny can verify them.

I'm running one in a 68 Dart with 4:10 gear 904 trans and a 28" tall tire. I bought mine used and installed it myself. The unit is suppose to fit the tunnel without modification I found that I had to drop the trans mount down 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to make it fit without tunnel mods. The GV directions say you may only need to drop the trans .100 So that is the only real compliant I have. In my car it drops the rpms down from 3000 to about 2500 +/- cruising on the freeway. Can't really say what kind of milage increases it offers as this car is more of a weekend driver and mileage is not really an issue. The real benefit for me was being able to keep up with traffic here in So. Cal. I can now cruise in the fast lane doing 75-80 at about 3000 rpm instead of the truck lane running 65-70 at 3000 rpm.

I have one in a non mopar. Pontiac 400 4 spd 456 rear. Installed it about ten years ago. Nice unit works well. I doubt the cost will offset the savings in gas though. At least not short term . Maybe over a few years.

I cant offer anything from an experience standpoint. I have one sitting in the garage waiting to go into my '69 Charger. I bought it primarily to go behind my 470 stroker to make the 4:10s more streetable.
My only input is-you could buy a lot of gas for what the GV unit costs. If you want it to tame a set of 4:56, then it makes sense.

I see Old man ray beat me to it.

I cant offer anything from an experience standpoint. I have one sitting in the garage waiting to go into my '69 Charger. I bought it primarily to go behind my 470 stroker to make the 4:10s more streetable.
My only input is-you could buy a lot of gas for what the GV unit costs. If you want it to tame a set of 4:56, then it makes sense.

I see Old man ray beat me to it.

They are a lot of fun since you can split all the gears not just an overdrive. Be prepared to modify the tunnel. They told me about a half inch. I had to cut out the tunnel and raise it two inches.

They are a truly great idea and have been around in other guises since the 1960's or so. It called the laycock denormanville overdrive,and gear vendors bought all the rights to it some time ago.You could find these on Volvo's,british cars,french cars,lot's of european stuff. Gas has always been higher there so naturally it created the need for an o.d.

If you find one on an older euro car,thier worth a pretty penny,so dont even think about it...

I have been using GV for more than 20 years now and on many different apps, trucks and race cars.

Then i became a dealer and since then have done hundreds.

Depending on the vehicle use you could save enough gas to pay for itself in a year...
I did with my truck back in 87 saving more than a tank a week, and trips to the track saved a tank each way, paying for the GV in less than a year....
Remember what gas prices were in 87? like a 1.18

They are a lot of fun since you can split all the gears not just an overdrive. Be prepared to modify the tunnel. They told me about a half inch. I had to cut out the tunnel and raise it two inches.

Old Man Ray: If you happen to have a moment, could you elaborate on what all you had to do with modifying the tunnel? I'm not overly experienced with doing these things so if I'm going to have to cut things out, I might have to re-think buying one of these units. What car did you add your OD unit to? The car I'm thinking about putting it into is a 74 Duster (225). Many thanks to you!!!

Old Man Ray: If you happen to have a moment, could you elaborate on what all you had to do with modifying the tunnel? I'm not overly experienced with doing these things so if I'm going to have to cut things out, I might have to re-think buying one of these units. What car did you add your OD unit to? The car I'm thinking about putting it into is a 74 Duster (225). Many thanks to you!!!

Installed it in a Pontiac not a duster. Supershafts may be able to help better to answer your specific install since he has done several in different vechicals. In my case I had to cut out about a five inch length of the tunnel and raise it about two inches to clear the OD unit. Not trying to scare you away from the idea. It was well worth it to me. Hope that helps.

Well I did say thier a great idea,thier just too expensive for me. Im getting into an 833 o.d,and will end up with all the swap pieces for well under what a gv unit cost's.

So if you on a limited budget,the factory o.d is the way to go.

Naaa, I put a 518 in my 73 Dart; 3.55 sure grip with 205/70R14's. Runs great. I have a TransGo shift kit in it and a Lock Up converter.

To calculate the new gear ratio simply multiply your rear end ratio by .78 to get the new final drive ratio.

4.10 X .78 = 3.20 Final Drive Ratio
4.30 X .78 = 3.35 Final Drive Ratio

I have a Gear Vendors unit on the shelf for my build, so I can't vouch for it yet. But I do think they are an excellent product, they warranty the item to 1200 HP. So you know it should handle most big blocks and small blocks without breaking a sweat.

As far as fitting, according to their website, installation requires only a couple of dimples from a ball-pean hammer.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Well I did say thier a great idea,thier just too expensive for me. Im getting into an 833 o.d,and will end up with all the swap pieces for well under what a gv unit cost's.

So if you on a limited budget,the factory o.d is the way to go.

When comparing them like that it's expensive, but you have to remember that the GV provides a .78 option to EVERY gear in your trans and not just a single option after 1 to 1

When comparing them like that it's expensive, but you have to remember that the GV provides a .78 option to EVERY gear in your trans and not just a single option after 1 to 1

Agree I think a lot of people miss that point.

Eight speeds and splitting gears without needing to use the clutch is fun.
Not just an overdrive.

Curious since you have done a lot of installs on different models.

How often do you have to do major tunnel mods?

I have to say i've never done more than stretch some metal and modify exhausts, i have never had to do any serious clearancing on cars, except for a few trucks that had 2pc and i made them a 1pc AL shaft and on some of the older trucks where the shafts went OVER the hanger crossmember i have had to remove and make tubular.

I have had mine in a 73 Dart for 4 years , The install was easy , I did have to cut a small section out of the tunnel and replace it . It was easier than trying to beat it. Spring for a new driveshaft, instead of getting your cut.
I run 3.55's and it transformed the car . I do take it on 100+ mile trips often and 70 mph in around 2300 rpm with 27' tires. Gas mileage increased around 15%. Clocked around 10,000 miles with no issues.

-
Back