anyone using a HEI distributor..anyone tried skip white one

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is running a hei ignition and what brand. Came across a Skip White hei setup seems nice and great price

There as a bunch of us running HEI, and the skip white distributor is one of them.
Everyone I have seen or heard about using the skip white unit seems plenty happy with them, although the lifetime of them is kind of up in the air still. (probably a good sign) :)
Some of us run home built HEI using the four pin GM style, and I myself run and sell kits using the 8 pin GM style with weatherpak connections and they work great also.
The home built and the kits I sell both use the OEM Mopar distributor.

Here's mine, mounted on the drivers side of my brake booster but they can be mounted pretty much anywhere incuding under the dash.

My own kits come with the HEI Ecoil also, that runs a .050 plug gap.
Literally everything you need to switch is included in our kits, so if you decide on the Skip White unit keep in mind that you will need to buy a new coil also or it won't be HEI.

Attachments

• installed.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 470
i had a skip white and it arrived broken... they sent me the parts to fix it and i had problems with my ignition after that...not sure what it was exactly but i decided to upgrade all of my ignition to msd and havent looked back. when it did work it worked great. and they were good about walking me through everything to make sure it was their part that was messed up. i sold my skip white to a member here maybe they will chime in

With the trailbeast setup, what's the best way to add in an rpm limiter?

With the trailbeast setup, what's the best way to add in an rpm limiter?

The best/inexpensive way to get a rev limiter and HEI is one of my current missions. :)

Right at this point it looks like a remaned points distributor, a Pertronics Ignitor III with rev limit, and an HEI coil might be the best way to go for cost concerns.

Distr = $45
Ignitor III = $150
HEI coil = $50

So for about $250 one could have true HEI and adjustable rev limiter both.
Pertronics does not, and probably will not make an Ignitor III for our current electronic distributors. #-o
The Ignitor unit would replace the Mopar box on the fender, as well as remove all those wires for it, but I think Pertronics probably figured it wasn't worth doing for Mopars that are currenty electronic already.

A skip White distributor may or may not accept an Ignitor III, as I don't know that yet but it would come out to about the same total of about $250 by the time you bought an HEI capable coil anyway.)
But then that would negate the reason for buying a Skip White unit unless one just wanted a cooler looking distributor.

Personally I just picked up a separate Procomp 2 stage limiter that I may or may not end up installing. (I don't need a 2 stage)
It all depends on what I can put together out of all the available stuff out there.
I would like to end up with an HEI ignition with rev limit for $200 or less, but it's getting more and more complicated and I'm doubting it can be done for less than that.

(this works with that, but not that, and so on it goes.) :)

Seems like a step back going to points. The msd 5520 cda goes for $150 and has rev limiter. Will that not jive with your HEI?

Seems like a step back going to points. The msd 5520 cda goes for $150 and has rev limiter. Will that not jive with your HEI?

It wouldn't use the points, just need it for the mounting plate configuration for the Pertronics unit.
They don't make one for Dodge smallblock OEM style electronic distributors, but the two setups would cost about the same.
The Pertronics unit in the OEM style distributor would have the same function as well as look more stock is all.

I use a cheap china one, coil in cap.. Day one I put a GM module in it, stuck it on the motor and for the past 3 years I haven't had a problem... Total cost was under a ninety bucks... Still happy and gap my plugs at 45

I have skip White dist. Works well 2 years now.

Before that i had 4'pin hei and stock elec mopar dist with e core coil. Basicly same as trailbeast setup. Only reason I swapped to skip white dist was that old dist broke.

I still have old coil an hei unit in trunk for back up in trunk.

I use a cheap china one, coil in cap.. Day one I put a GM module in it, stuck it on the motor and for the past 3 years I haven't had a problem... Total cost was under a ninety bucks... Still happy and gap my plugs at 45

And there ya go.:)

I guess the coil in cap style are to big to fit back there in some smallblock cars.
(from what I have seen anyway)

I have trailbeast's setup for sale if you want to go that route. Never got a chance to use it but everyone is real happy with it. Went with boosted system(boost retard) so unfortunately had to go a dirrerence route. Not to steal a sale from trailbeast but I'd like to see someone get use from this instead of sitting in my drawer. Pm me if interested. Installs real easy from the mockup I did.

I have trailbeast's setup for sale if you want to go that route. Never got a chance to use it but everyone is real happy with it. Went with boosted system(boost retard) so unfortunately had to go a dirrerence route. Not to steal a sale from trailbeast but I'd like to see someone get use from this instead of sitting in my drawer. Pm me if interested. Installs real easy from the mockup I did.

I got no problem with that at all gt, and I will offer any support if needed to the new buyer as if they were the original purchaser if that helps.

TrailBeast, for years I had an electronic dizzy with the big Ford cap and so I cut the firewall a bit and welded in a curved piece... Yet for today, this HEI coil in cap fit perfectly up to the firewall and below the curvature and will work on any 64 5 or 66 without worrying about the firewall. The only thing I done for the dizzy to fit was the grind away part of the rear intake manifold so as to time it as it would hit the intake when turning it.. The screw driver handle is holding on to the transmission filler tube...
In reality and as a hot rodder a little grinding here and there worked for me...

It's hard to see the Dizzy yet, it works without modifying the firewall..

The reason I used this was to get rid of all the wiring, coil on the motor and the other crap that goes with the other systems..

I got no problem with that at all gt, and I will offer any support if needed to the new buyer as if they were the original purchaser if that helps.

I really appreciate that, wish I got the chance to feel the difference or had another application to use it on. Would recommend your product just from your support and stand up attitude. Happy new year👍😁

I bought a new Skip White dist. and havent gotten around to needing it yet, dont think the Trail Beast setup was off the drawing board/testing stage at the time but wouldnt hesitate to go that route either. One thing I want to accomplish with the Skip White one is that I can use an external coil (MSD Blaster 2) for the old school look under the hood, Im trying to put stuff back close to like it should be...I know, Im a little weird LOL.

HotLines: The link you gave (this HEI) points to a conversion cap used with an external coil. I'm guessing you meant it to be a coil in cap unit. That is a nice tidy system.

I have the standard Skip White GM large cap style on my 351M Ford engine. I was not happy however with the advance curve on the Skip White unit as it came, so I recurved it with a $4.99 kit that included weights, a new cam, springs and bushings. I ended up being able to use the lightest springs, because these engines were low compression. It made a tremendous difference when recurved, although I noticed a nice difference even before with quicker starting. Trailbeast has it down for the Mopar stuff......I may end up doing it on my rat truck, since I have adapted the 331 Hemi to use a small block distributor. It would be a really simple install, too.

I've been running a Skip White distributor for three years now with no problems.
C

I will probably go with trailbeast for my hei . I'm not ready to order just yet I need to have my drive shaft cut and a few other things. Thanks for all the input

-
Back