Anyone using a programmable MSD box?

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I have a MSD-6 ignition set up with a MSD Pro billet distributor. I have absolutely no complaints and it works very well. I am very interested in the adjustability of a programmable MSD set up. Would it be worth my while? I am more interested in the timing adjustments than anything. I change from race gas to 93 octane based on availability and change the timing manually when I switch. Is it adjustable with a laptop, or am I reading things wrong? Any info would be a big help.

I looked over the MSD instructions for the 6AL-2 and Digital 7. The big thrust is on timing retards and rev limits. If that works for you, are able to understand the sketchy instruction, and have a fat wallet, go for it. It is not for me.

It would work perfect for you since you can program multiple timing curves and change them based upon the fuel you have available. Got race gas? Pop in the aggressive curve. Got pump gas? Pop in a mellow curve. No need to ever touch the dizzy once its set up, its all done with the laptop.

In simplest terms, it retards timing. You lock out all mechanical advance in the dizzy and set it to the max advance you want. Then you program it to pull out timing at whatever points you want. For example- you want initial advance of 20* and a max advance of 38*. Lock out dizzy and physically time the motor to 38*. Then you program it to pullout 18* from 0 rpm - whenever you want the curve to start, giving you 20* advance. You can then program when and how fast the curve goes to full advance by pulling less timing out to bring it to the full 38* that the dizzy is set at. You can even simulate vacuum advance with a common GM map sensor.

The system can still give 20* start retard just like any MSD box to make starting easier. It also has several retard options. You might like those... ;)

I am currently running it just as the ignition because of time restraints getting the car ready for Mopars in the Park, but will lock out the distributor advance and use it to the fullest this weekend.

I looked over the MSD instructions for the 6AL-2 and Digital 7. The big thrust is on timing retards and rev limits. If that works for you, are able to understand the sketchy instruction, and have a fat wallet, go for it. It is not for me.

The 7 series is expensive. The Programmable 6-AL is only $60 more than the 6-AL. $360 from Summit or Jegs...

Since cu440da actually has one, go with what he said. May be best to wait see, how the the locked distributor, with electronic advance controls, works for both street and track.

To get the fullest from the unit, crank timing sensing would be the way to go.

I use it with a locked distributor. 13-1 700" roller. I run pump gas on the street. I nevr load the engine on pump gas though. It spins the tires at any speed with a throttle burst on the street so no load applied. The 20 degree retard works great. My son will change things in the program for boost and e85 later.

Attachments

• DSCF0094[1].jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 108
I have the Mallory hyfire IV on my airboat....it has several adjustments that are very easy to program search jegs or summit racing for more info...I use it mostly because you can program the timing to retard below 1000 rpms which helps a lot with a direct drive airboat such as mine I run 87 octane pump gas with 10;1 compression which a lot of people say is a No-No...but then again this isn't a racecar. it has built in rev control and an added feature to where you can add a push button for rev control override and another button that will change the timing while the button is depressed then go back to your programmed values when you release the button

Oldmanmopar

That is exactly what I thought it could do!....as well as my plans....now with that bit of conformation...full speed ahead...never used one before though...lol

I think it might be the way to go. I can time the vehicle as I need and get the rev limiter as well. Might have to consider this.

-
Back