anyone welded up spider gears before??

-

Mopar318Guy

bear jew
Reaction score
i got a 73 Dart Sport with a 318 with around 280 or 290hp and its couple to a 727 with no problem handling those numbers. the only thing is, its backed by a 7 1/4 rear end. and people tell me how much they suck and all this and ohh just get rid of that **** buy a 8 3/4. well. i have no money for that at the momment. im tryna get my Dart done. and i might as well blow up the 7 1/4 since its such a pos. so can i weld the spider gears on it to make a posi for temperary use. the posi would be ok for just normal daily driving until i find a new rear so i figure spend a few bucks welding it up and go do some donuts and posi burnouts. what the heck. anyone tried this on a 7 1/4. i kinda would like to do it. but if there that shitty ill have to find a new rear before i can enjoy it. input? thanks

Wifes twin brother does that to all his demolition derby cars. It works but welding hardened materials will cause them to break.

Good on the dirt track but they will not hold up on the road. Sorry.
All you would have to do is make a left or right hand turn on the pavment and it will brake.

Why not grab a 8.25 from an A-body or a box Jeep Cherokee? The only problem with the Jeep unit is spring perches. Or, use a B-body rear.

Waste of time, that thing will snap. Welding hardened materials makes them brittle and they usually will break upon use. Why not just do one wheel tire fryers until it breaks?

Waste of time, that thing will snap. Welding hardened materials makes them brittle and they usually will break upon use. Why not just do one wheel tire fryers until it breaks?
yea but thats no fun. and goin lock to lock to break the other free isnt either. ill do it anyways. long as i dont get caught. lol

Why not grab a 8.25 from an A-body or a box Jeep Cherokee? The only problem with the Jeep unit is spring perches. Or, use a B-body rear.
jeep have 8 1/4 rear ends?? which model/ year. ima have to get one. and whats wrong with the spring perches?? b bodys too wide. i dont want too much of a flare.

I ran a lincoln locker in my swinger for a while We put about 30 rods in the spiders and i never had a problem my spiders looked like one big solid square.its gonna break anyway those flimsy axles will twist when you get a bite around a corner but have fun. oh btw mine was a 8.75

Just about any late 80's -90's box Jeep. Most have 3.21 or 3.55 gears. The axles mount on the frame with coil springs and trail arms so you'll have to weld spring perches on. You can mount the assembly on the car and take it to a shop to weld. A B-body rear is only about 2 inches wider than an A-body per side. The front track on an A-body is 57". The rear track on an A-body is 55", a B-body is 59". I have a friend with a Duster running a B-body rear with 29550R15 tires tucked under the fenders but he does have the spring relocation kit installed. You only need that if you're going to that large a tire. I spotted a '74 Duster in the boneyard today with a 8.25 axle but it only had 2.45 gears. I might grab it just to have.

Just about any late 80's -90's box Jeep. Most have 3.21 or 3.55 gears. The axles mount on the frame with coil springs and trail arms so you'll have to weld spring perches on. You can mount the assembly on the car and take it to a shop to weld. A B-body rear is only about 2 inches wider than an A-body per side. The front track on an A-body is 57". The rear track on an A-body is 55", a B-body is 59". I have a friend with a Duster running a B-body rear with 29550R15 tires tucked under the fenders but he does have the spring relocation kit installed. You only need that if you're going to that large a tire. I spotted a '74 Duster in the boneyard today with a 8.25 axle but it only had 2.45 gears. I might grab it just to have.
depending on how much theyd want for it id say get it and ill buy it from you. and get after market gears. 4.10s most likely. theres no jeeps in any junkyards aroudn here. its BS. but theres no classic muscle in junkyards. they all been swapped up and put in a driveway to be fixed

Hey mopar guy take out the rear pull cover wash out good w/brakekleen lay out on two jack stands where you can horizontal weld [flat] use a 7018 rod weld spider to housing and between gears beat off the slag and raise cane had a8.75 welded up for years on street make your turns wider enjoy. If not that rod one w/high nickel content compare tensile strength of stock

The thing is, they want $100 for the axle and I'll be doing this by hand. No power tools, compressors allowed. I'd hate to charge you labor but I had hell pulling an axle to use in "my" car. Those 4 axle U-bolts are brutal! Especially when they are very rusty.

The thing is, they want $100 for the axle and I'll be doing this by hand. No power tools, compressors allowed. I'd hate to charge you labor but I had hell pulling an axle to use in "my" car. Those 4 axle U-bolts are brutal! Especially when they are very rusty.
man up sissy

Hey mopar guy take out the rear pull cover wash out good w/brakekleen lay out on two jack stands where you can horizontal weld [flat] use a 7018 rod weld spider to housing and between gears beat off the slag and raise cane had a8.75 welded up for years on street make your turns wider enjoy. If not that rod one w/high nickel content compare tensile strength of stock
i got a mig welder with .035 lead. thats probly not enough unless i weld a solid block. and if it brakes ohh well. time to find a new axle. anyone got pics of a 7 1/4 gear set. are the spider gears enclosed. i might take out the spool and weld a solid chunk then slap it back in. donuts donuts donuts

-
Back