are 1970 and down 727s worth rebuilding

-

Gabriel Larson

Reaction score
I found a 1969 727 core that I was gonna pick up for my 383 build. is it worth it to build them or should I wait and find a 1971 and up to build? I do plan on abusing the dart.

I guess it would depend on your intended purpose for the vehicle. 65'

Absolutely it’s worth it. If you had both to pick from sure go for the 71-up but with the 70-earlier it’s easy to upgrade the few known areas that you’ve likely read or heard about. I run a 67 727 short tail shaft (bolt-on yoke) behind a 410 stroker, no idea the exact horsepower or torque but it runs consistent times, bests of 11.44@114 (likely would be faster in an A-body, I run an old van) dead hooking wheels just up with a Turbo Action 3500 tight.
Rebuilt the trans myself with a 5 red frictions conversion (5 thins in a 4 disc drum, originally was a 3 disc hub) upgraded bands, TransGo 3 shift kit some other things I can’t recall atm. I had it apart to inspect while doing the drum and friction upgrade and everything looked fine. Everything. I’ve done lots of runs as well as being street driven. No concerns whatsoever. Trans is original to my A100 van, that originally had a slant 6. It’s been around the block a few times.

I’d contact A&A if you don’t already know. They will hook you up with what you need to upgrade: Home - A&A Transmissions

Last edited:
-
Back