are any 340 and 360 parts interchangable?

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I bought an '318' engine some time ago from a guy who had it in his Roadrunner and was replacing it as it had an front end knock. I didn't care as I was just going to salvage some of the parts for my 340 (new water pump and timing chain cover) and then sell the block. When I was cleaning off all the grime I thought I saw 360 on the block and sure enough, it is actually a 78 360. The previous owner did some work on it and he had replaced the harmonic balancer. How can I tell if it is for a 318? Are any other parts usable like the intake manifold?

The only parts that don't interchange between 340 and 360 are: oil pan, block, crank, main bearings, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, pistons, rings, harmonic dampener, torque convertor. The rods are not the same (340s are a little heavier and have the pin bushing IIRC) but will work if you are having them re-done and the assembly balanced.
The balancers for 360s, and cast crank 340s carry the words "Use with cast crank 340 only" or the same but "360 only". The forged crank 340s and all 318s use the same balancer.

All the parts got covered. But FYI, the OEM 360 balancers don't have any wording on them. The cast-in counterweight is simply bigger than the 340 cast crank and in later years, they removed weight from the opposite side of a "flat" balancer to accomplish the same thing.

And don't forget if you are swapping in a 360, you need to run the proper flywheel on a stick shift car, or on a TF, either buy an aftermarket 360 weighted flex, or change the torque converter to a 360 'verter.

-
Back