are any of these clusters worth saving?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Hetzel

Reaction score
I've acquired a bunch of 60-70's era parts and in the mix are some dash clusters. Before I go through the trouble to clean them up beyond what they look like now, are these worth saving or should I save the time and toss them out? Is anyone in the Northern CO area looking for any of these? I know 1 is 63 Valiant, mid 60's darts, one 73 dodge truck, others I don't know yet but I think are chevy.

The '64 dart is currently on hold for RustyRod. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dash 1.jpg

dash64.jpg

dash2.jpg

dash 63 valiant.jpg

dash 73 dodge truck.jpg

dash3.jpg

dash chevy truck.jpg

Everything is worth saving. Someone is out there looking for those parts right now. You just need to find them :)

Yes. Start with a sale thread, starting at $75 a piece?? Noone repops orig style gauges to my knowledge, they are handy as heck. Same for keyed ign switches.

Well ya, I realize that. I just want to know if I'm looking for 1 person that is looking, or like 1000 people that might be looking. The same as everyone else, I only have so much space for stuff!

Here's how you do it ! Throw em out in the trash. 2 or 3 days later someone will post a WTB add wanting exactly what you just threw out !
Don't ask how I know this !

Odometer are interesting, a couple are way below 100,000 miles. I guess the old cars didn't make it that far.

I've acquired a bunch of 60-70's era parts and in the mix are some dash clusters. Before I go through the trouble to clean them up beyond what they look like now, are these worth saving or should I save the time and toss them out? Is anyone in the Northern CO area looking for any of these? I know 1 is 63 Valiant, mid 60's darts, one 73 dodge truck, others I don't know yet but I think are chevy.

The '64 dart is currently on hold for RustyRod. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 1715733371

View attachment 1715733372

View attachment 1715733373

View attachment 1715733374

View attachment 1715733375

View attachment 1715733376

View attachment 1715733377

The second one down is the 64 Valiant. That's the one I am interested in. Thanks, David!

The second one down is the 64 Valiant. That's the one I am interested in. Thanks, David!
I know-that's in your pile of stuff. It was just in with the rest of the pics-don't panic. It's the other ones I'm mainly wondering about. I guess I'll post them in a sale link with an unknown year if they aren't decided on. Thanks all for the feedback-it helps.

Interesting note the 63 and 64 Valiant gages will physically interchange but the 63s are marked in a arc but the 64s are in a straight line.

I know-that's in your pile of stuff. It was just in with the rest of the pics-don't panic. It's the other ones I'm mainly wondering about. I guess I'll post them in a sale link with an unknown year if they aren't decided on. Thanks all for the feedback-it helps.

Thanks, David! The third one down...is that for a 63 Dart? If it is, my friend James will probably want that. He's the young man I am helping get his 63 Dart back going after it was vandalized badly.

4th one down is 72-76ish dodge pickup. No kilo sweep on speedo and 100mph top

The one below that in pic 5 looks like some sort of early 70s FoMoCo product. Mercury montego maybe

This is a joke right?
So you are thinking the odometer rolled over on a 63 something Mopar to the tune of 164 thousand miles? People dint drive them that far and they dint keep them that long IMO. Example? a 63 Chrysler New yorker was an ugly POS in the early 80s no one wanted to be seen in one. The pushbutton automatic was also wonky at that time not many shops wanted to fix them. This in in my area in southeast Pa.

That was my guess too, but I haven't confirmed it. I had an 85 Chevy that I hated and I seem to remember that cluster from that truck.
Funny, the only Chevy I ever owned was a 78 K5 blazer, it was a rust bucket and the trans went bad more than twice even after I paid good money to rebuild it. Cant say I hated it but it was close:)

So you are thinking the odometer rolled over on a 63 something Mopar to the tune of 164 thousand miles? People dint drive them that far and they dint keep them that long IMO. Example? a 63 Chrysler New yorker was an ugly POS in the early 80s no one wanted to be seen in one. The pushbutton automatic was also wonky at that time not many shops wanted to fix them. This in in my area in southeast Pa.
8-10K miles per year back then was the norm. A dart was the second car in the driveway or the commuter. 5 year warranty 10 year typical lifespan. Do the math.

No, I’m not thinking anything. None of those gauges can physically register more than 99,999 miles. So you’ll never know whether it’s got 64,000 miles or 164,000 miles just from the odometer. Doesn’t matter either way, you can’t tell - so what’s your point?

On average these cars weren’t normally driven the number of miles when they were new that cars see now. But there are definitely plenty of these cars out that went more than 100k miles. And just from the gauge you don’t know anything, maybe the gauge panel had a problem and was replaced and the car kept going? All just speculation with no possibility of a real answer.

Having been around back then and knowing that if a 60s car went past 100k on the body it probably had an engine swap, but not necessarily. It would have required

extensive maintenance to have one go past 100K especially in the rust belt. In the 70s the govt started paying around with gas prices, these old cars were unloaded

cheap in favor of Junk like Chevy Chevette or Dodge Omni. Making an educated guess, and I have no proof i would say not many went past 100 thousand miles, it just

wouldn't have made sense to feed them gas and swap engines and transmissions and do the body work required to pass inspection. No I can not argue the point I just

know what I know from being alive in the 70s, I was a kid but I watched my parents bail on cheap cars in good shape because they had gas hog 440 magnums in them,

I also watched mom unload her 66 Chevelle in 1978 because it was a gas hog with a 283. The only way these cars stayed nice is if they were garage kept and not driven

much. I suppose my point is, if I could prove it or if there was some way of proving it, i would bet the mileage on those instrument clusters isn't rollover mileage. I also

wouldnt get into arguing it much more than I already did as there is no way to prove it. Did any old car roll over the odometer? maybe but it wasnt common IMO.

There are many companies that you could send those out to and they could restore it with all original parts. There is an episode of nick's garage where one of these companies does his cluster in his 70 challenger.

There are many companies that you could send those out to and they could restore it with all original parts. There is an episode of nick's garage where one of these companies does his cluster in his 70 challenger.
I know there are, but I don't have any of these vehicles. I'm just looking to give them a new home in someone else's garage.

I know there are, but I don't have any of these vehicles. I'm just looking to give them a new home in someone else's garage.
I was thinking that they might be worth more if they were restored. Like others have said, these odd parts and pieces are on FIRE right now. because everyone thought these mid 80s trucks and late 70s cars were junk and now people are restoring cars up to the mid 2000's. (i think its a little out of hand, but its cool anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back