Are lawnmowers built worse than 20 years ago?

-
I still mow with a 1978 honda hr21, way better than anything made in the past 20 years. Most people cannot believe that its over 35 years old.

http://minus.com/lwK9rEmyObRcM
http://minus.com/liTkoJJIFgoxE

I have an old '83 Honda HRS21, still starts first pull every time. I service it every year and it just keeps on going and going. Itll be a sad day when it finally gives up the ghost. I would definatly buy another Honda mower.

It seems that when I was little, lawn mowers seemed to last longer.
My 6.5 HP Toro is ready to conk out after 4 years. It smokes out of the exhaust, it smokes up through the air filter and it knocks like rocks in a coffee can when I try to cut thick grass. Yeah, the oil is full. The spark plug fouls easily. It acts like a 400,000 mile slant six.
My lawn cutting duties are about 1/2 acre, once a week in warm weather. I don't use this for commercial work.
Do most lawnmowers use all aluminum engine blocks? Its been awhile since I did a teardown on one of these. I seem to remember that one I blew up had no iron sleeve for the cylinder. It was aluminum just like the piston. How the heck could that last with steel piston rings chewing away at the aluminum?
What kind of luck have you had with your mowers?

The aluminum cylinder has a hard Nikasil plating, like many 2 stroke dirt bike engines have.

After 10 years of owning a Craftsman self-propelled mower on which I replaced almost every part....twice, I bought a Honda. I couldn't believe how much quieter the Honda is compared with the Craftsman. As noted above, it starts on the first pull always! After seven years I had to replace the first part this weekend. The self-propel cable head broke off. I recommend Honda to anyone that asks......that goes for snow blowers also!

Im glad this thread came up. I got up this morning and took all the cowls off the motor and pressure washed thru all the air passages, cleaned the air filters real good, lightly oiled the outer foam, then changed the oil on the mower and the pressure washer. So, thanks for the motivation!

After 10 years of owning a Craftsman self-propelled mower on which I replaced almost every part....twice, I bought a Honda. I couldn't believe how much quieter the Honda is compared with the Craftsman. As noted above, it starts on the first pull always! After seven years I had to replace the first part this weekend. The self-propel cable head broke off. I recommend Honda to anyone that asks......that goes for snow blowers also!

Excellent mowers, I've had three.

Finally got tired of the crap and bought a John Deere model 445,.... 17 yrs ago!! The only drawback was convincing my wife that it was worth the money. LOL. Kawasaki 2cyl 4 stroke, liquid cooled and fuel injected. Has spin on hydraulic and oil filters. Has 600 hrs on it now. One of the better investments I ever made. Just like any other equipment though, they must be maintained properly. Probably would have had to buy 3 or 4 of those crap yard tractors in those 17 yrs. Signed ..... Happy Mower

I've been extremely happy with my Craftsman 42" rider.

It has a 17 HP Kholer single- largest single and pressurized oiling system.

I don't really do the best job maintaining it, but it starts every time, even after the "winter" season.

It's pretty much the best mower I've ever had.

It was a customer return and was $400 cheaper than the next lower model with a B&S engine.

I bought a somewhat pricey electric start, self propelled walk behind troy built for my mom, and it has been a complete piece of CRAP.

No traction, throttle cable is physically painfull to engage, belt comes off every other use, and is royal PITA to get back on, can't pull it backwards, etc, etc.

Never again.

I still run a mid-80's Craftsman with what I think is a 15hp Briggs twin. I change the oil every year and clean out the cooling fins...well, when it's dirty. Still runs perfectly, though it's kinda ugly.

I cut the grass for my dad with a reel type mower. No motor. It was self propelled by the person pushing it. Me myself. The only thing that ever wore out was my legs.. You guys have it easy.

wow all this talk about mowers, i think its time for me to tune mine up, change the oil, and sharpen the blade.

thanks FABO LOL

Pretty much everything made these days is worse than 20 years ago.

The only "new" lawnmower I'd buy would be a Honda. They're too expensive though so I'd go trolling craigslist for an old Snapper.

I just gave away one of the real old "zero turn" snappers. It had a 8 HP Briggs engine and ran fine when I parked it several years ago. Replaced it with a Cub Cadet 5' zero turn (skid steer) which has a nasty habit of eating the main drive belt. Had gone through two clutches (warranty) until I discovered that the main drive pulley in front was loose on the shaft (they don't use a keyway) which caused heat that failed the clutches. 26HP Kawasaki engine runs Ok but needs starting fluid on the first start, probably the fuel pump but who knows. I mow a bunch of acres with it - grass airstrip and big yard.

Why do they put the cup holder on the discharge side of riding mowers? Makes it useless.

I own a Toro Z Master commercial mower, 25 HP Kohler.

Great mower.

PS, if you like wheelies try mowing close to trees with low limbs, :D

Attachments

• Toro Z500 Zero turn mower Toronto ON (2)_0.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 125
My grandma had a reel mower.

Used it a few times before my uncle bought her a used 60's vintage Craftsman wind up start.

The neighbor had a power reel mower...talk about scary!!!

Shoot now its gunna throw a rod! Lol
used to take the engines off our mowers for my mini bike.got the *** beating for that one,took one off a rototiller 7 horse techumse it was fast second ride threw a rod...lol

-
Back