Are the small 7260 U Joint straps date coded, like the larger ones?

-

odcics2

Reaction score
Just another thing for this nuts and bolts correct restoration I am doing on a '69.

The car uses a 3" driveshaft with the smaller 7260 U Joints.
I have found a pair of those, with the retainer straps, NOS.
I need to find a set of u joint straps and have been told they never came with date codes.
I know the larger MoPar u joints did have date codes from the factory.

ok, I know it's anal, but the entire car is correct so far, so I feel it's important to keep
doing it as correct as possible.

Thanks for any help you guys can lend.
Any pics you can post would be helpful...

I have not yet seen a small yoke set with date codes if you meant me, I did not say they never had them, just that I have not seen any yet.

The only ones I have seen with date codes so far are on larger yoke cars, & even then, not all cars had them.

Possibly different vendors doing their own thing.

My 1970 Fury, Coronet & Valiant are all small yoke cars & they all still had the original U-joints intact with the rear side to side cup keeper strap.

No date codes on the u-joint straps on them.

I understand being "correct". Have never seen u-joint straps with a date code or any numbers on any size joint.. Doing 'correct', you will be faced many times with "What is correct?". Factory vendors were always changing, and even the vendors were a little inconsistent in minor details without violating the factory specs. I would not consider NOS u-joints because modern metallurgy is superior and this becomes a safety concern. 99 percent of the judges are unqualified and cannot judge at that level. Don't want to discourage you, just a heads-up on the road that lies ahead.

I have not yet seen a small yoke set with date codes if you meant me, I did not say they never had them, just that I have not seen any yet.

The only ones I have seen with date codes so far are on larger yoke cars, & even then, not all cars had them.

Possibly different vendors doing their own thing.

My 1970 Fury, Coronet & Valiant are all small yoke cars & they all still had the original U-joints intact with the rear side to side cup keeper strap.

No date codes on the u-joint straps on them.

Do you have a set of non date coded small straps to sell?
:thumbsup:

I understand being "correct". Have never seen u-joint straps with a date code or any numbers on any size joint.. Doing 'correct', you will be faced many times with "What is correct?". Factory vendors were always changing, and even the vendors were a little inconsistent in minor details without violating the factory specs. I would not consider NOS u-joints because modern metallurgy is superior and this becomes a safety concern. 99 percent of the judges are unqualified and cannot judge at that level. Don't want to discourage you, just a heads-up on the road that lies ahead.

I understand where you're coming from.

I have a set of 1971 dated large joint straps. They do exist! Also the bolts come in many different head markings also! Appears that all the versions are Grade 8, though. (6 marks)

The car is being done to my satisfaction, not others, or judges!!

That is the only way to build a car, for your satisfaction only and no one elses. Have fun.

Thanks!
Ok, so does anyone have an original Mopar with the small U joint that has date coded straps on it? (the small joint yoke is about 3.25 wide)

Anyone working on a small u jointed car this winter in the garage?
Can you take a look?

Anyone working on a small u jointed car this winter in the garage?
Can you take a look?
I am the number on the bolt is 01jh no numbers on straps
15471336244292015778090861190875.jpg
15471337235917111100277311064913.jpg

Interesting that the bolts are 2 different styles. Both have 6 lines, meaning grade 8.

Update:
Had a guy look under his original Dart and report no marks on his set of straps.

-
Back