Are these brakes mopar?

-

sydcuda

Reaction score
Currently looking for some drum brakes for my 8 3/4 here in Australia.

Found an add on ebay Australia by a guy whose selling these brakes, which he bought for a ford 9 inch but was told by his diff shop that they weren't ford but "Chrysler charger" (sic).

Anyone recognise these brakes as OEM Mopar? From the look of the backing plates, which have mounting 4 bolt holes, albeit with a slot which would seem to accommodate a 5th mounting bolt if need be, they're not 8 3/4 brakes. Nor are they brakes for an Australian Valiant Charger (if that's what the seller's diff shop was thinking).

But maybe they are for an 8 1/4" or some other Mopar rear axle?

Can anyone ID them?

!BY0f5LwCGk~$(KGrHgoOKkEEjlLmY7zeBKjllVPOHw~~_1.jpg

Disregard my above query, guys. From my own research I think I've established that in fact they are ford brakes - neither the seller nor his diff shop seem to have a clue...

i've got a b-body rear with 11x2.5 brakes that i'm prepping to install in my valiant. i'll shoot a couple of pics and post them for ya so you can ID them.

i was planning on taking pre disassembly pics anyways so i can make sure i get them re-installed properly.

here ya go..
i've taken them all apart, i'll take a couple more pics of backing plate front and back later today. aloha

IMG_1852_1.jpg

IMG_1853_1.jpg

IMG_1854_1.jpg

IMG_1856_1.jpg

What might have confused them is Ford is famous for having innumerable combination's used on most anything they produced. They look like big Ford car (LTD, etc..) brakes to me.

Can anyone fill me in as to whether the above ford big brakes (ie. first pic) could fit an 8 3/4? Only issues would be the bolt pattern for the backing plate mount on the axle flange, and possible the handbrake set up.

Though I hate to use non-mopar parts its only drum brakes (besides, many run mustang 2 style spindles on their RMD set-ups) and it would be a much less expensive option for me here in Australia (ford brake parts aplenty, US mopar brake parts rare and expensive).

Only other thing that might be an issue is finding a set of brake drums that fit. You know, correct bolt pattern, correct hub register, and correct offset.

You may already know this but if you get a Mopar axle flange gasket and lay on the backing plate and mark it you can use that as a drill guide.

for what it's worth,back in the 60's/70's,Ford and Mopar brake shoes and hardware kits had the same part numbers per size 10", 11",etc. bolt paterns were the same,got a hunch yhey'll work too. worth a try. good luck.

[for what it's worth,back in the 60's/70's,Ford and Mopar brake shoes and hardware kits had the same part numbers per size 10", 11",etc. bolt paterns were the same,got a hunch tyhey'll work too. worth a try. good luck.

-
Back