are these truck rears?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
im getting really frusatrated with the 2 8 3/4 rears i have. i had them for sale thinking i couldnt use them. then i changed my mind cuz one lookd like i could use it. now my neighbor is telling me these rears are out of trucks and i cant use them!

is there someone local with knowledge enough to come by and tell me if i can or cannot use these rears in my car?

They might be truck rears, they might be from a 63-64ish and earlier B body

Either they fit or they don't based on length. Doesn't matter if they came out of a truck, car or radio-flyer wagon.

I tried to assist you in identifying these, asking for measurements, and you weren't all that proactive. No biggie.

Here's a picture that has the ends of each rear. It's the junk splined axle stuff. Outside the pumpkins and base housing the rest is garbage for a later car. The axle housing ends have a different bolt pattern than the green bearing retainer plates, at least the two that I had did.

DSCN1757.jpg

As I wrote in the sale thread, good luck what ever you choose to do.

i stuck the black one under my car and it looked like it lined up right, just needed to move a mount over a little. but my neighbor (bear in mind, hes a chevy guy) said that a truck rear cant work in my car and i got nervous. i hoped that just changing the axles to sbp and drums to 10" would solve it. like, as long as i could put my wheels on it id be good

id like to add that one of these rears is 50 1/2" from one drum to the other, and the other rear is 52 1/2" same measurepoints

52-5/8" is right for an A-body so that 52-1/2" should work fine for ya. The 50-1/2" must be something somebody narrowed but it should work for an A-body with the correct wheels. Again this is assuming they're not the old splined hub type rears like Crackedback posted pics of.

BTW: What was your neighbor's reasoning for saying they are truck rearends? I've sure never seen a Dodge truck rearend that narrow.

Looking at the pictures those axles look like 64 and earlier B Body rear ends (they have the large nut holding the brake drum on). The early B Body guys like to swap to 65-70 B Body 8.75s because of the difficulty in removing the brake drums (special puller is needed and even then sometimes they are a bear to get off. The black one (narrower one) I believe is from a 62 B Body. Guys with those cars look for A Body 8.75s because they're a virtual drop in. If it was me, I would look for a true A Body 8.25 or 8.75 rather than use either of these rear ends (b/c of the brake drum)

I would agree, if they are the bolt-on drums, they are not up to par with the newer ones. I had one like that in my 50 DeSoto, I snapped the axle shaft with the flathead 6... Sometimes, that old stuff, even if it is cheap, free, or laying around is not always worth using. I also believe the splines on the inner end of the axles is different than the newer ones.

52-5/8" is right for an A-body so that 52-1/2" should work fine for ya. The 50-1/2" must be something somebody narrowed but it should work for an A-body with the correct wheels. Again this is assuming they're not the old splined hub type rears like Crackedback posted pics of.

BTW: What was your neighbor's reasoning for saying they are truck rearends? I've sure never seen a Dodge truck rearend that narrow.

um actually the axles crackedback posted are my rears. i almost sold them to him.. so are they NOT gonna work for me?

You have to measure from the right spots.

sorry if im making you reiterated, but where do i need to measure from? it looked like the smaller one was able to fit my car and the bigger one sounds like it coudl fit 2. if it lines up, dont that mean itll work? i just need new axles for sbp and rebuld the rear and id be set?

Last post for me...

Wheel mount flange to wheel mount flange is the ONLY measurement that really matters much.

Inside edge of the brake drum measurement does ZERO good.

Put any kind of power to those axles with a decent tire and snappo... I don't care if that style axle came in MaxWedge cars, they did, and the tires SUCKED back then.

um actually the axles crackedback posted are my rears. i almost sold them to him.. so are they NOT gonna work for me?

Ok. I didn't know that. Like Rob (crackedback) said measure from the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface of each drum and that's the measurement you need to most worry about. As far as them being truck axles like your neighbor said I doubt it since they are so narrow. Your neighbor doesn't know Mopars or he'd know even car axles had those style axles and drums. I think Rob nailed it saying their old B-body rears. Like he said the weak point is the axles and you can't swap in modern style axles because the flange is different. So they may work if your not going to run much power but if you are they aren't very strong.

Ok. I didn't know that. Like Rob (crackedback) said measure from the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface of each drum and that's the measurement you need to most worry about. As far as them being truck axles like your neighbor said I doubt it since they are so narrow. Your neighbor doesn't know Mopars or he'd know even car axles had those style axles and drums. I think Rob nailed it saying their old B-body rears. Like he said the weak point is the axles and you can't swap in modern style axles because the flange is different. So they may work if your not going to run much power but if you are they aren't very strong.

how much hp is alot to you? i was hopin to eventually be pushing 280hp max

I would scrap them or try to sell them to someone looking to do a complete restore that runs older stuff and get a newer axle. If you never get on it at all, you might be Ok but, that will be a weak link and end up leaving you stuck somewhere...

cant he just weld the correct housing ends on there for them to work with the correct axles? could even narrow it a tad while in the process as well...or is this something else you guys are referring to?

how much hp is alot to you? i was hopin to eventually be pushing 280hp max

To be honest I've only read their weak and not to put much power to them especially if your running sticky tires. I'd think you'll be ok at 280 hp though. Don't think I'd go much over that.

To be honest I've only read their weak and not to put much power to them especially if your running sticky tires. I'd think you'll be ok at 280 hp though. Don't think I'd go much over that.

i planned for my car to be q uick lil daily driver. 280hp max out of a 360ci w/ a 904. if i cannot use these rears, i will sell them. if i can use one of them i want to!

im getting really frusatrated with the 2 8 3/4 rears i have. i had them for sale thinking i couldnt use them. then i changed my mind cuz one lookd like i could use it. now my neighbor is telling me these rears are out of trucks and i cant use them!

is there someone local with knowledge enough to come by and tell me if i can or cannot use these rears in my car?
a a body 8 3/4 rear spring perch measurments are 43" center to center

How do these titties look? Do they look like nice titties? I know there's no pictures, and I don't know where to measure them, but do they look big? You think they'll feel good? I really need to know because I wanna make sure they're the right titties for me.

How do these titties look? Do they look like nice titties? I know there's no pictures, and I don't know where to measure them, but do they look big? You think they'll feel good? I really need to know because I wanna make sure they're the right titties for me.

most of the time the bigger the better are the right choice...to an extent anyways LOL:toothy10:

DICK MOVE BUT FUNNY :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

-
Back