Are they all like this?

-

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Hey folks, I got a killer deal on a Super Six set-up with everything included but the carb. Yep, even the tranny kick down linkage. Anyhow, The intake is the factory aluminum one which I read has a history of being kinda porous and leaky. Do they all have a bubble gum looking sealant around the halves of the casting? I think I am gonna have it powder coated or maybe just paint it. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Super Six Manifold 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 568
  • Super Six Manifold 2.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 576
  • Super Six Manifold 3.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 577
every one I have seen has been like that, porosity in the welds were a common problem in the aluminum two piece manifolds. paint it with an epoxy or powder coat it as you like, but it probably is just fine. if it leaked it would have been melted into beer cans long ago.

That's how mine looks too. I'm having my boss sand blast mine and a friend is going to powder coat it.

Is the number 4 runner supposed to be bent? :shock: Never seen a two peice before but have heard all about them.

Matt, I noticed that. Doesn't look right, but when I place a steel straight edge against the ports it looks level. Beats me?

The runner's out of alignment, but the flange is straight. It'll run. I would rather have the cast iron one, but you can get that painted of better yet, send it to Leanna and she'll powder coat it. That'll seal it right up.

It will run if the ports line up and the flange is even but #4 is gonna have fuel distribution and puddling issues possibly causing it to run lean.

/6 Matt, looks to me as if you haven't heard "all" about them; your guess is a perfect 180° off. The "bent" runner is supposed to be that way. It was made that way on the EB-welded aluminum 1bbl and 2bbl intakes on purpose to fix a longstanding tendency of the slant-6 to run rich on certain cylinders due to complex vagaries of flow out of the plenum and into the runners. Engines equipped with the EB-welded manifold show better cylinder-to-cylinder mixture balance. You don't have to believe me on that, you can read about it in the apposite SAE paper about these manifolds, and in "A History of Chrysler Corporation's Slant-Six Engine" by W.L. Weertman.

These manifolds work well if they're not floor-cracked, if the welds aren't porous, and if the mount plane is nice and flat. The floor cracks are easy to understand—thin aluminum isn't as heat-tolerant as thick aluminum or thick cast iron, so over the years the extreme thermal cycling in the hotbox area of the floor of the plenum can cause cracks. Fortunately the cracks are also easy to spot by careful inspection after cleaning.

The mount plane is also easy to true up if necessary, same as you'd do with any intake manifold.

The weld bead porosity isn't as big an issue as it is sometimes made out to be. Those weld beads look ugly, but the pockets and holes don't go very deep; they're generally just on the surface. There were relatively few porous ones, and most of those were melted down as scrap metal many years ago. Even in the unlikely event you happen to find a porous one, it's not difficult to fix/prevent vacuum leakage. There are several techniques; some of them are described and pictured here. Another good method is to have the manifold powder-coated. Or you can clean the manifold thoroughly, put it in the oven til it's up to 200 degrees or so, remove it and quickly put a bead of a good aluminum RTV (I like Valco 71195 applied with the help of their clever Tube Grip) to the entire weld bead, smooth the RTV firmly into the weld bead surface with a finger (don't burn yourself), then refrigerate the intake. As the metal cools it will draw the RTV into the air pockets on the surface of the weld bead. If you want to be super extra sure about it, powder coat it ("aluminum" powder coat looks great then do the RTV thing once you have it back from Leanne (or whichever other powder coater you might inexplicably choose instead).

The runner's out of alignment, but the flange is straight. It'll run. I would rather have the cast iron one, but you can get that painted of better yet, send it to Leanna and she'll powder coat it. That'll seal it right up.

X2,on Leanna the color goddess......

Great minds think alike ... I already gave Harry a quote a couple days ago. :-D Thanks for the props guys!!! Muahhhhhhhhhhhhh

/6 Matt, looks to me as if you haven't heard "all" about them; your guess is a perfect 180° off. The "bent" runner is supposed to be that way. It was made that way on the EB-welded aluminum 1bbl and 2bbl intakes on purpose to fix a longstanding tendency of the slant-6 to run rich on certain cylinders due to complex vagaries of flow out of the plenum and into the runners. Engines equipped with the EB-welded manifold show better cylinder-to-cylinder mixture balance. You don't have to believe me on that, you can read about it in the apposite SAE paper about these manifolds, and in "A History of Chrysler Corporation's Slant-Six Engine" by W.L. Weertman.

These manifolds work well if they're not floor-cracked, if the welds aren't porous, and if the mount plane is nice and flat. The floor cracks are easy to understand—thin aluminum isn't as heat-tolerant as thick aluminum or thick cast iron, so over the years the extreme thermal cycling in the hotbox area of the floor of the plenum can cause cracks. Fortunately the cracks are also easy to spot by careful inspection after cleaning.

The mount plane is also easy to true up if necessary, same as you'd do with any intake manifold.

The weld bead porosity isn't as big an issue as it is sometimes made out to be. Those weld beads look ugly, but the pockets and holes don't go very deep; they're generally just on the surface. There were relatively few porous ones, and most of those were melted down as scrap metal many years ago. Even in the unlikely event you happen to find a porous one, it's not difficult to fix/prevent vacuum leakage. There are several techniques; some of them are described and pictured here. Another good method is to have the manifold powder-coated. Or you can clean the manifold thoroughly, put it in the oven til it's up to 200 degrees or so, remove it and quickly put a bead of a good aluminum RTV (I like Valco 71195 applied with the help of their clever Tube Grip) to the entire weld bead, smooth the RTV firmly into the weld bead surface with a finger (don't burn yourself), then refrigerate the intake. As the metal cools it will draw the RTV into the air pockets on the surface of the weld bead. If you want to be super extra sure about it, powder coat it ("aluminum" powder coat looks great then do the RTV thing once you have it back from Leanne (or whichever other powder coater you might inexplicably choose instead).

........well I guess that settles that. :cheers:

Mine looked the same, as well as all the others I have seen. I even tried to grind the bubbles out but grinding on AL is not fun. I gave up and just lived with it. The floor was cracked anyway, gave it to a guy that worked at a fab shop and he TIG welded it up properly and ran it no problems. Those things are light!

Not fun??? Oh pish, I have to disagree with you there baby. All you need is a set of carbide burrs with wide teeth and an air grinder or Dremel and they'll eat through aluminum like it's nobody's business.

Well ... I guess it IS my business anyhow. :-D I can debur an intake almost as fast as I can give somebody a quote on a pair of custom valve covers.

-
Back