Arizona Father/Son Plymouth Valiant Build

-

MOPAR-FAMILY

Reaction score
Hey Guys & Gals.. A couple years ago I suggested to my 14yo son that he start searching for a project we could build on with the idea that it would be his when he gets his license. He shares my fetish for MOPARS and it wasn't long before he found a 76 Valiant that struck his fancy. It's a 4 door, but that's the way he wanted it, citing a need to have more room for all the girls his car was sure to attract.. Sound logic i supose! Anyhow, he worked all summer and came up with the $2500.00 needed to bring it home. Quick trip to Prescott, Az and he was the proud owner of a runnning 76 Valinat with 340 backed by a 727. Motor was tight and obviously running much hotter than stock. The tranny is in need of attention (slips occasionally) and the rest of the car was pretty good overall, with no rust and only very minor body imperfections.

The Valinat was put on hold during the last school year so he could focus on his school work and football obligations, but now is back on and all systems go!! Cars been stripped down to just Body and frame and is currenty at the paiunt/body shop. Tranny's scheduled to be torn apart this next weekend and piece by piece we are getting in the finishing trim items and such.

I can't seem to find anyone who sells a weather stripping package/kit for the 4 door Valiant. Maybe one of you folks out there could point me in the right direction?

Enough for now, UPS just arrived with his new Hemi Dart Scoop... Cool!!

SANY1584.jpg

SANY1586.jpg

SANY1585.jpg

1229091500.jpg

1231091305.jpg

4 door mopar weather strip kits are hard to find. I remember looking for some door seals for my 83 plymouth cop car.No dice.

Nice project car tw!!Your son chose a car that is still popular!

He loves the older Dart looks but likes the fact that he doesn't have to get in and out to let his friends into the back seat. Initially he planned on a sublime green or hemi orange paint scheme, but he's since realized the benifits of being a little less noticable to some and yet very noticable to others. He's going with a color much like that which is on it now. Although it will have a black stripe running accross the tail and the hood will be flat black with an ol'skool hemi dart scoop. He originally planned on a 6-pack setup, but has since went with a single 4 barrel sitting on a air gap manifold.

Pretty much all we are waiting on is weather stripping and purchasing all new wiring. I was going to go with a painless wiring setup, but since have been turned onto ron francis wiring. Has any of you delt with the ron francis wiring kits yet? Could use some input on it. Currently the car has NO wirring what so ever. Nothing-Nada...

Im partial to 4 doors myself. Cheaper to buy. But less parts and harder to find.

MOPAR-FAMILY WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I think your son has the right idea on stuffing more girls in the 4 door LMBO... Who said 4 doors werent cool? Looks like yall have a sound car to start with!! I dont know if there is anyone making the weatherstrip kits but you might be able to buy an extra set for the 2door version and modify.. Not sure though never have worked on the 4 doors weather strip... Good luck and hope yall have fun building this car. Thats gonna be a sweet lookin 4 door with the flat black hood and scoop... :D

MOPAR-FAMILY WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I think your son has the right idea on stuffing more girls in the 4 door LMBO... Who said 4 doors werent cool? Looks like yall have a sound car to start with!! I dont know if there is anyone making the weatherstrip kits but you might be able to buy an extra set for the 2door version and modify.. Not sure though never have worked on the 4 doors weather strip... Good luck and hope yall have fun building this car. Thats gonna be a sweet lookin 4 door with the flat black hood and scoop... :D

Hmm,2 door weather strip should be longer.Maybe all you need to do is trim it to fit!

Welcome aboard Mopar Family! It's great to have you guys here with us. Looks like a sweet ride coming along nicely. Don't hesitate to ask if you need any coating work done ... you probably don't know it yet, but I kinda have a soft spot for the Young Guns since they're the future of our hobby.

Make yourselves at home and keep us apprised of your progress!

What a great introduction to FABO!! Thanks everyone.. Cody (my son) and I are really excited to see so many people willing to help out with questions we have on the Project Valiant. A special thanks to 70Duster440 for the link to weather stripping. I will be calling them up today!

Have any of you delt with Ron Francis Wiring (http://www.ronfrancis.com/) before? He is much cheaper than Painless Wiring, but I'm affraid I may just get what I pay for without knowing anyone who's worked with his stuff? Thanks again for the input...!!

Welcome to FABO. What better way to teach a son to be a real man than to work together on something tangible. It will be a great confidence booster for both of you. My own little guy is 9 and he is largely watching and retrieving wrenches but I figure that it is a good enough place to start.

The desire to fit more girls in the car is very original. Just make certain that he learns about proper driving behaviour so that he does not kill it as soon as he gets the license.

Steele Rubber products will make you about whatever you want, if you send them your old weatherstripping to go by. Hope this helps :cheers:

I called restoration specialties refered by 70Duster440 and they completely hooked me up!! I got every rubber piece on that car headed my way. They were awesome... Thanks 70Duster440 and thanks FABO for the help!!

Now its on to my wiring venture... Oh brutha

-
Back