ARP main bolts oil pump clearance

-
Well I got the low profile bolts that ARP sent me I still had to take about .040 off the oil pump body.I don't trust myself enough to machine main cap!

I built my first small block in 1997. This was a problem then and has not changed but when I called they put me through to an engineer who sent the solution pretty quick. I also have arp fastners on the outside(dress up) and that kit BLOWS!!! I understand the frustration but they made it right with me at no charge. What can I say.

What can I say.

They SUCK, maybe :) Making it "right" is fixing the problem when they find out about it, not waiting for every customer to chase them up about it first..

I called ARP today and they said it was an uncommon problem,I told them from what I read on here that it was more common than they think.I milled too much off the body and got into the relief spring cavity thus ruining a new oil pump! My bad! Arp did say they had a special low profile bolt and are sending me two free of charge.

Uncommon problem, yet they have a "special" low profile bolt. Hmmmm............

I always read you get what you pay for........apparently not...gotta call and get the extra bolt...

Perhaps that Hughes part number needs a place in the tech sticky section? Had I known about that one before hand, my brother's 340 wouldn't have a mismatch in the set...live and learn I guess. Although, I do agree bakerlite's comment makes more sense from the get go...at least as a notation when you buy the set that when used in a small block a different bolt will be needed due to lack of oil pump clearance, since that set can also be used for big blocks.

-
Back