ARP Main Stud set w/ windage tray - same 'ol problem

-

70Hardtop

Reaction score
I just received my ARP Main stud set for Windage tray (ARP # 240-5501). And see that they have got their numbers wrong and have 5 studs for windage tray and 5 normal, when it should be 4 and 6. I looked through this forum and I see that there is a lot of info on this and has been an ongoing issue with ARP since at least early 2000's and maybe since the 1990s, as one member said.

Of course, it's no huge problem, just cut the odd one down. The main question though is why haven't they fixed such an easy issue, when it's been told to them countless times over at least 15 years. It would be a zero effort fix. And not even any note inside the box saying some modification will be needed.

I see though that they have included two 12 point nuts for use under the oil pump, to aid in clearance of the base of the pump. So they have obviously listened to people on one issue but have not changed the other one.

DSCN5184.JPG

DSCN5183.JPG

Well, at least they added 2 twelve point nuts, when I bought mine they weren't included! 65'

Well, at least they added 2 twelve point nuts, when I bought mine they weren't included! 65'

Yes they get a small tick for that I suppose. I looked through previous posts from 2015 and someone quoted the Pn# as 140-5501. It's now 240-5501. Maybe that is reflecting their change in set contents.

Aren’t the studs all the same length no counting the length for the windage tray threads? If so, cut the threads off one stud and run it. Or you can call ARP and mess around getting one stud. Life is short. Improvise and save time.

If so, cut the threads off one stud and run it
Yes I wrote that in the first post, second paragraph. I know it's no big drama, but really, for such a large well known company as ARP to continue to make this error after at least 15 years, probably more, and after many people have probably told them, points to something lacking somewhere in their communication or "care factor". After that large amount of time, it wouldn't be just one person in there, it would be at least half a dozen.

The only possible explanation I can think of is that they use this kit for multiple engines over many makes, and maybe some engines do use 5 attachment points on their windage trays?

Yes, very annoying. Considering how much you pay to get 'ARP' engraved/stamped on the fastener. I check every ARP bolt/stud because I have found many are the wrong length, usually too long, requiring them to be shortened.

Yes, very annoying. Considering how much you pay to get 'ARP' engraved/stamped on the fastener. I check every ARP bolt/stud because I have found many are the wrong length, usually too long, requiring them to be shortened.
That's very interesting, I sort of assumed that this set in the OP was a one-of thing. I watched a set of videos about the whole ARP process - a young lady was in there interviewing and asking questions about the machines and processes. Mainly talking to a guy that looked like the workshop foreman or supervisor. Of course it painted a very rosy picture of ARP, I was impressed; detailing the lengths they go to to achieve the highest and most consistent in tensile strength and durability etc . One worker saying that he previously worked in an aircraft related parts manufacturing facility and that the quality controls in there were not nearly as high as at ARP.

But it appears that their quality control in the very first step is not that high.

Last edited:
-
Back