Asking for more input. Again.

-
If you dont buy it please let me know.
I've been helping a relative with a no start problem , 91 Ford Explorer. He has fell in love with my car. I told him about this twin in Colarado for 25 hun and he says, "Lets ride".

look underneath as it has sunk into the mud from sitting. if it is solid underneath (frame rails, floor and trunk) and the 273 is there as a matching original engine then you better think about getting it.........soon!

If it is as solid as it looks then the price is very fair and I would not wait.....

I'll more than likely be picking it up on Sunday. Where do I look on the engine to make sure the numbers match?

I searched, maybe not hard, but I did search before asking. Which engine would be best/cheapest to rebuild (273 or 318 ) ? Or is it just a matter of original vs. NOS.

Colorado - NO RUST. Rrrrriiiiiggghhhtttt.

fastmopar

thats what i thought lol. looking at the drives side in the fenderwell area looks to be a bit more than just surface rust so really check out the underside good.

if it is like most small blocks the numbers you will be lookin for will be on the passenger side along the bottom of the block near the oil pan. it will be in a flat section. numbers will be stamped in. i could be wrong on this though seeing as it is a 67. it might be in a different place. someone else can chime in on this. as far as what engine to build? well i would do the 318 for now seeing it is more cubes and probable alittle easier to get performance parts for. the 273 i would keep as a numbers matching set to the car. rebuild when ever or store it away for future sale.

7demon2 I was thinking along the same lines. Build the 318 now and save the 273 for later.

it would have to be pretty bad underneath to be a bad deal. again as long as the frame rails are solid, that is the real key. floor pans can be replaced, trunk pans can be replace. look along the cowl as well seeing as it has been sitting under that tree. cowl area could be rusted through. if it truns out the frame rails are soild and the only damage is the floors or trunk use this as a bargining chip.

another place to look also is the underside of the package tray. like demon said aslong as the rails are solid try using all these things as barganing chips. finding replacement panels is the easy part.

Major rust or bend issues in the frame rails where the rear springs mount, center member where the torsion bars mount, and the upper arm mounts are more difficult to repair. Anything else can be repaired or replaced much easier.
The first place I look at are where the inner fender is sandwiched against the shock support. If those humps are rusted through I can expect front splash shields and the trunk extensions to be rusted before I look. These may be just replacable sheetmetal pieces but its cancer none the less and will need repair eventually. Bottoms of the doors get a glance. Look for yesterdays broken glass clogging the drain openings. That doesn't definately say the door has been wrecked, just a prompt to look closer for bondo in the doors and fenders.If the bucket seat tracks are rusted you can guess the floor pans are too.
I suppose I said "A solid foundation is the key" in 1000 words or less. LOL
As far as the engines... I wouldn't haul the 273 home for it. If it was a complete Commando engine I would want all those goodies off of it. A 318 that was built for unleaded fuel is a better choise in my opinion.
PS I want a set of those rocker mouldings !

RedFish, why wouldn't you haul the 273 home? Just curious. If everything goes according to plan I will be using my buddies truck (Diesel with a flatbed) so i more than likely will bring it.

A 40+ year old worn out , solid lift , leaded gas , 273 would be just more weight to haul and handle. In the end it would be laying under foot here somewhere. I want one or the other and the 318 would be my choise.

Thanks for all the input. I made a list of things to look for and to ask. Now I just need to get everything in order so I can make the Drive.

$2500 is a good deal for that car if it looks as good as the pics.

So it's Monday and no I haven't went and got/seen it. He called me Friday night and said he couldn't make it to his parents this weekend. So I'm heading down on Thursday to look at it.

Tom Petty said "The waiting is the hardest part".
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Now That I have had time to think about it, I keep getting the feeling that I'm in over my head. I HATE WAITING!!!

that is part of the excitment! the peaks and valleys. you'll be ok, remember you are just there to look in the beginning. if it is what you want you will get it.

Now That I have had time to think about it, I keep getting the feeling that I'm in over my head. I HATE WAITING!!!

The good thing about waiting is that it won't be an impulse buy. Go in with a clear head and be willing to walk away if it not what you want.

I just can't get into the mindset: "That I just drove 900 miles oneway and spent $500 in gas, so I should buy it".

-
Back