Asking for Opinions

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
I also always thought that the factory Swinger gas cap looks ugly and cheap, like its from a bargain parts store. But Ive always loved the flip top gas cap found on Cudas and Chargers, so when I saw this thread Here I jumped at the chance to put one on my 70 Swinger, bought one, and bought a new flip open cap.
So I installed it today, thought it looked fantastic and took it to a local outdoor show. A friend made some comments in fun about it not being factory on a Swinger and he didnt like the look of it very much.
So what do you think? Did I make a mistake? Personally I love the look of it, but I never thought people would be secretly snickering at it.
20240823_203734.jpg
20240823_203815.jpg

It's your car, so as long as you like it I don't see how anything else is relevant.

That said, I like the flip top caps. The original caps on the Dart's (and Dusters) do look cheap, and it's not like they match up with anything. Just a random handle sticking out in the middle of the quarter, and they don't even sit very flush with the quarter most of the time. I mean really, what's special about this?
IMG_8680.jpeg

vs. this? I mean c'mon.
IMG_9899.jpeg

I may be biased though. And clearly I'm not worried about what was factory or not.

IMG_5983.jpeg

I like the go wing a whole lot less than the gas cap, which I like neither.

Looks good, are you using the special screws to mount fliptop gas cap?

first off,if you like it then who cares.

my opinion, depends on the car i think. bare bones dart like mine i think it would look too bulky and out of place. one with more chrome it may look better.

There was one on my Dart eighteen years ago when I bought. I liked it so I left it on. No one has ever said anything bad about it, at least to my face. :lol:

1724491367170.jpeg

There are purists out there who are more than happy to point out that you did not use the factory correct intake manifold bolts for your cars year.

And others who just might not like the look.

My personal preference is keep it stock but it does not look out of place.

If you can put up with the purists' comments go for it

I think it looks like it belongs there. Looks great. A friend of mine put one on his 4 door Valiant. It looks great, too.

Looks great and is way more functional than the stock one .
I can honestly say I have never lost the gas cap to my Barracuda or Charger … lol

I think your friend is jealous ! Put one on my Dart decades ago, and looked great on our Van also.
And you will never leave it at the pump or scratch the paint
20180207_105029.jpg
20180629_171459.jpg

I also always thought that the factory Swinger gas cap looks ugly and cheap, like its from a bargain parts store. But Ive always loved the flip top gas cap found on Cudas and Chargers, so when I saw this thread Here I jumped at the chance to put one on my 70 Swinger, bought one, and bought a new flip open cap.
So I installed it today, thought it looked fantastic and took it to a local outdoor show. A friend made some comments in fun about it not being factory on a Swinger and he didnt like the look of it very much.
So what do you think? Did I make a mistake? Personally I love the look of it, but I never thought people would be secretly snickering at it.
View attachment 1716293719View attachment 1716293720

From what I can see, that car looks beautiful.
Great color.

Don't change a thing.

Your friends envious because he can't put one on his Prius. Lol, just look at the cars that belong to the naysayers. That will tell you where their own tastes are. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I got criticized for not having a 340 in my Dart.

By a guy driving a minivan.:D

Sorry TB, I don't understand your comment.

I'm merely saying that there's nothing I could add to opinion pool that hasn't already been said.

You said everything has already been said.
I replied with no one came out and said F-em yet.
It was a joke.

-
Back