aspen station wagon upgrades

-

silverAl

Reaction score
Hello, i have a heavy aspen station wagon with super six ,automatic,and 2.71 gears. i've done a tune up, lightweight starter,and upgraded exhaust to 2 1/4 pipe and turbo muffler. i bought a used offenhauser 4 barrel intake ,and i have a n.o.s. carter performer 500cfm electric choke. my question is ,will the carb be too radical on stock engine? if not,i'd like to procede with that,and then maybe 3.21 gears.

Hello, i have a heavy aspen station wagon with super six ,automatic,and 2.71 gears. i've done a tune up, lightweight starter,and upgraded exhaust to 2 1/4 pipe and turbo muffler. i bought a used offenhauser 4 barrel intake ,and i have a n.o.s. carter performer 500cfm electric choke. my question is ,will the carb be too radical on stock engine? if not,i'd like to procede with that,and then maybe 3.21 gears.

Welcome.... this really belongs , in /6 territory.(mods?)

for a heavy F-body car, a better cam profile, rear ratio change, or compression mill would be the best bang for buck.

I don't have any experience with 4 barrels on slants. Someone with more knowledge will chime in.

You should be ok. I believe that the carters are like vacuum secondaries, so the engine will only pull what it needs from the carb.

The other trick is to get the kickdown linkages set up properly when you go to the 4 bbl...

I knew a guy back in the 80's that had a 77 Volare wagon with a 360 4 speed. You can make what you want with it...

That carburetor is way too big for a stock slant six. The perfect carburetor for it is the Super Six carburetor. That's why Chrysler put it on there.

That carburetor is way too big for a stock slant six. The perfect carburetor for it is the Super Six carburetor. That's why Chrysler put it on there.

Thanks everybody for tips. I have the super six carburator,a two barrel. Car is just too slow for merging with traffic. Before i go with 4barrel,i may try aggressive engine timing next. And,i agree with the post about lower gears. Turbo not bad idea,but out of budget range at moment.

IMO a new.cam kit.seems to be the best route to take. Summit sells.them for just under $300 bucks.

drop that 2.7x rear end. put a 3.3x rear in it. Slants like to rev a little. We spapped out a 170 for a 225 in a buddies car thinking it would pick up some power. Turned out he had a 2.30 Volare rear in it. Man that thing was slow.

I have an offy intake on my 4speed wagon and it was a huge improvement over the one barrel.. Shoot for a 390-500 cfm carb. Mine is a 600 and it too big..

Getting a rear gear ratio around the 3.2 range will help immensely. Another thing I did on my 79 Volare wagon, my A\C was inop so I took the belt off. I also removed the air pump. Motor had more 'pep' with fewer accessories to spin.
-Matt

Thanks for tips! Im thinking the 3.21 gears are way to go too. my 4 barrel carb might be too aggressive? a carter 4 barrel afb performance series, mechanical secondaries will pull a 318 pretty stout,so not sure what carb yet.?

all this talk of an aspen wagon and not a single pic :D

sounds like its going to be a cool car ......some people like to see wagons ...hint hint

Attachments

• aspenatwhistlestop.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 206
I recall taking a test drive in a new Volare wagon when the Super Six first came out. I thought it had a 318 by the way it performed. A properly tuned slant with the right gearing is a decent performer, so I agree that a gear change will give you the most bang for the buck.

My '64 Valiant has that setup and I have no complaints about performance, but then I don't expect it to be a race car.

-
Back