assembled engine paint removal

-

midlife89

Reaction score
I've pulled my engine so I could get to plug to change band apply lever.So I figured I'd freshen up the paint on block and get the headers coated.Most of the paint is flaking off but some of it is stubborn.Using wire wheels but I'm considering acetone for some of the nooks an cranies.Used dupli color to paint it the first time, going to use VHT this time.I cleaned it with purple power,brake clean and paint thinner,in that order, the first time and the paint started peeling after the first year.Don't want to paint over the stubborn stuff for fear of it letting loose at a later time.Want to get all of it off.

The best clean prep for cast is a flame. That's about the only way to get all chemical residue out of it porous surface. Getting paint into the pores.. spray close and wet.

Hi, I used a product called aircraft paint stripper in a blue can made by kleen strip, going off memory which is dangerous sometimes, you can get it a Advance, Napa, or any other auto parts, spray it on and wash it off, does a great job, didn't have to wire brush anything, hope this helps

When you get it to the point your ready to paint spray it down with brake cleaner blow it off and your good to go..plasticoat seems to last the longest of the "spray bombs"..

aircraft stripper is the best stripper hands down , then power wash the block to get any residual stripper off. Blow dry then heat block and heads with some heat lamps (this gets the moisture out of the pores and gets it ready for paint) Then while warm (not hot) I spray with quality urethane paint. My machinist hates it cuz he plays hell getting it off my block when it is machine time

Even the walmart "eco-safe" "no fumes" oven cleaner works better than "engine" degreaser.

Just discovered that yesterday :)

As suggested before use brake cleaner, don't buy the CFC compliant crap it does not work as good.
Plug all ports, it will lift the cheap paint and be dry after spraying.

-
Back