Assembly lube for camshaft.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Lost my notes, sorry.The 360 is going to sit for the winter,no start up for another 6 mounts.The comp lube they gave me runs off,so whats is the best lube that sticks on camshafts and lifters.Next build,roller cam...................

Get some Joe Gibbs Engine Assembly Lube... The Best...

another for Gibbs, that stuff won't go anywhere! I used the driven assembly GREASE.

this
s-l300.jpg

Just ordered Joe,thanks boys,just a thought,did ma Mopar pre primed her engines be for start up.I myself many years back never primed,just turned the key a few times,than bang fire up.Even the 318 that sat all last winter never primed nothing started it right no problems.Share your thoughts.

on a new build its best to prime the engine, Andy F recently posted a video of an engine what was primed then started and it took a while for oil to reach the rockers even after priming. you don't want the engine, especially a fresh one running on just assembly lube for long

The red stuff comp sent with my cam was very thin as far as assembly lubes go. I would love to see a Consumer Reports style comparison where the cams are lubed up, engines closed for a year and reopened. Some lubes seem to be oil based, while others are grease style. I know one NASCAR assembler who sprays his cams with graphite spray before lubing. And priming, yes always. Engines cost too much these days!

ken dorton also uses spray graphite moly lube, as well as cam lube. there is a YouTube video from the horsepower monster I believe explaining this

Along with the break in lube, protect your engine with zinc afterwards. I also use a break-in additive in my oil for my start up, like Lucas. You can get it at O-reillys for 17 bucks

Contact Jerry at Schneider Cams. I use his cam lube, break in oil additive, and racing oil additive in all my engines. Used it for years in the race engine with never a cam failure.

Right up there with STP!
What I used with my 318 back in the late 70's. Ran for about 9 years. Unfortunately it was rear ended twice after I moved from IL to WI....... Totaled. But still started. LOL

What I used with my 318 back in the late 70's. Ran for about 9 years. Unfortunately it was rear ended twice after I moved from IL to WI....... Totaled. But still started. LOL
Ssssory for your lost,but hey it still runs right,cant be a mopar.

Lucas products 10152... It's zinc based,& everything it touches,basically becomes glued to what ,it touches... (My finger tips, still have the sliperiness,after multiple swipes with acetone...)

molybdenum disulfide...it used to be in many cam kits but cost may be a factor for not seeing it as much as before....I have a huge container of the powder and mix it as needed when needed...in dry powder form you can store this stuff forever..a bit costly but a little goes a long way...you can source it on e-bay....nothing compares to the very shear protection this stuff provides...

How 'bout that black moly lube that comes in a tube? would it plug up the oil filter? I dont think that runs off. Im reading that the car was rear ended twice and the prior post mentioned petroleum jelly.....!

I use Crane moly break-in paste on all my assemblies. It stays where you put it...

-
Back