Ate a Can of Ham "expired" Two Years Ago

-
Botulism is not a great risk in fish.
Plenty of research available on the matter.

And plenty of money spent on 10k film for this very reason.

Had a link posted but can't get a functional link from my phone.

Plenty of research available on the matter.

And plenty of money spent on 10k film for this very reason.

Had a link posted but can't get a functional link from my phone.
I have been reading online too, endless examples and studies.

Its not the fish that's the problem. Its the method of preserving. Botulism occurs naturally in soil. It is anaerobic. it likes dark oxygen deprived places to grow. ( that's why I used the alum. foil example. I was always taught never to pre-foil wrap potatoes and leave them for a few days )

People that use glass or plastic and try to preserve fish as the natives used to are running into botulism in Alaska specifically. If they used the old methods of grass lined pits, there will be plenty of air, and no botulism colony.

Most of the others like Campylobacter, staph, e-coli grow in warm oxygen rich environments, but don't produce toxins like botox, and are easily killed with heat. 160F is more than ample

A few months ago prior to my house being demoed I found 10 Kraft dinners, expiry 2009 .Still good...as far as KD goes .

In the machine shop that I bought there was an old snack pack pudding in a drawer. It was marked 1977. All steel container with a pull-top lid. Being young ,dumb ,and a lover pudding , I opened it and ate it, LOL. It actually tasted pretty damn good and I'm still alive 20 years later.

Old canned foods are generally still fine to eat as long as the can hasn’t been compromised. The contents were sterilized as part of the canning process so unless the can has been compromised, the contents are still safe to eat.

How they taste is a different matter...but they are still safe to eat.

We tried a can of C-ration peaches we found on Camp Pendelton, dated 1967...they were still orange! I think there is so much salt in that ham that youll be ok, I mean the label says 'Trust us', right?

:) Pishta, in late '66 we were issued C-rats dated 1951 for a while. Tasted fine. Well, except for the ham and mother....... Ooops, family friendly site...... Meant to say ham and lima beans. Can't remember anyone who liked them. I don't eat pork anyway (its a religious thing), so went hungry when I drew them. I was fairly good at trading and bartering stuff, but you couldn't give ham and lima beans away. They were awful. Beans and franks were my favourite C-rats. And the canned peaches you mentioned. Mothers cookies were pretty good, too.

One of our sons was serving in the Corps when Desert Shield/Desert Storm went down and I went back in as a middle aged reservist on active duty as well (SeaBees that time 'round). Jon was home on leave a couple of weeks before I reported and brought some MREs home in his sea bag so I could see what they were like. I must say they were a lot different than canned C-rats. And I liked C-rats better. Reckon its all what you're used to.

Semper Fi,

Harry

Last edited:
...I grabbed the bottle with the yellow liquid in it, took a big swig and started to gargle. Unknown to me....my wife had been cleaning the bathroom the night before and lift a bottle of Pine Sol on the bathroom countertop. You guessed it...I almost puked trying to get all that crap out of my mouth. The worst part was that it was extremely difficult to rinse that crap out of my mouth!!! It tasted nasty as hell and even after rinsing my mouth 20 times I could still taste it...BLLAAAA!! I'm a lot more careful now when I use anything to gargle!!:BangHead:

(Edit) Oh, I forgot.....from experience, gasoline tastes 10 times better than Pine Sol, I don't know what's in that crap but it not good for the human body!!!

Oh man, that reminded me of the time I was stripping the floor in my barracks and we had to share the huge 5 gallon can of stripper so we just poured some from the supply locker into any bottle or can we had available. you guessed it, I grabbed for a can of sprite, and it was the can full of floor stripper! Took a sip and spit it out immediantly, lucky I didnt swallow any. Same job different month, I did it again, but it wasnt floor stripper, it was my roommates Copenhagen dip spitoon can! I get the chills even to this day thinking about that...I think the dip spit tasted worse than the stripper.

When I first went into the Army in 1988, they fed us rations left over from Vietnam.
There was so much salt and preservatives it was unreal.
Then we got MRE's, not sure that was any better.
MRE's (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians, or Meals that Refuse to Excrete) Those things will plug you up for days.

:) Pishta, in late '66 we were issued C-rats dated 1951 for a while. Tasted fine. Well, except for the ham and mother....... O00ps, family friendly site...... Meant to say ham and lima beans. Can't remember anyone who liked them. I don't eat pork anyway (its a religious thing), so went hungry when I drew them. I was fairly good at trading and bartering stuff, but you couldn't give ham and lima beans away. They were awful. Beans and franks were my favourite C-rats. And the canned peaches you mentioned. Mothers cookies were pretty good, too.

One of our sons was serving in the Corps when Desert Shield/Desert Storm went down and I went back in as a middle aged reservist on active duty as well (SeaBees that time 'round). Jon was home on leave a couple of weeks before I reported and brought some MREs home in his sea bag so I could see what they were like. I must say they were a lot different than canned C-rats. And I liked C-rats better. Reckon its all what you're used to.

Semper Fi,

Harry

There were some less than desireable MRE's too: There was one (86-90 time frame) that was some sort of ground beef in sauce, we called it "beef in menstrual sauce" it was sort of a ketchup base. Then there was the "SOS pads', dehydrated beef and port patty meals. Those were my favorite as I could trade about anything for those as no one liked them. I ate them dry, like a brown rice cake. There was the "4 fingers of death" (hotdogs) "ham and choke loaf" sort of a spam and cheese slice, 'The Puck' which was a slab of formed chipped beef and a few other proteins in sauce. Then a new generation came around when I was getting out: Ham and egg omelette, dehydrated strawberries, and a few more that I never saw but heard of. maybe tuna casserole? All came with coffee powder, crackers and cheese or peanut butter (both could stop a leak in a gas tank) and a little bottle of Tobasco sauce (He was a Marine!). I would still eat any of them, they were not all that bad, but one a day @2200 calories each in the field was a little light, and I wasnt a big guy. Now they got these squad meal casseroles that feed 4 and come with their own chemical heaters: rip them open, pour some water in and let them sit for 5 minutes...piping hot!

Reckon its all good so long as you don't get the trots or get plugged up.

What kind of chemical heaters did they go to? We ate a lot of C-rats cold. Some, we took the time to heat with Sterno tabs or a chunk of C-4 (a little dab'll do ya). But most, we ate cold.

Thanks,

Harry

A few months ago prior to my house being demoed I found 10 Kraft dinners, expiry 2009 .Still good...as far as KD goes .

Effin Canuck ;-)

Reckon its all good so long as you don't get the trots or get plugged up.

What kind of chemical heaters did they go to? We ate a lot of C-rats cold. Some, we took the time to heat with Sterno tabs or a chunk of C-4 (a little dab'll do ya). But most, we ate cold.

Thanks,

Harry

The heaters are a powder, aluminum powder and iron powder and salt. Adding water creates a shorted electrolytic battery: instant and prodigious heat. PM your address, I'll send you a couple.

Oh man, that reminded me of the time I was stripping the floor in my barracks and we had to share the huge 5 gallon can of stripper so we just poured some from the supply locker into any bottle or can we had available. you guessed it, I grabbed for a can of sprite, and it was the can full of floor stripper! Took a sip and spit it out immediantly, lucky I didnt swallow any. Same job different month, I did it again, but it wasnt floor stripper, it was my roommates Copenhagen dip spitoon can! I get the chills even to this day thinking about that...I think the dip spit tasted worse than the stripper.

So you are a "Bother" connoisseur in the finer beverages than are unusual in flavor??

BUT THE SPITOON>>>>>YuuuKKKK!!! I'll have to check the floor stripper to see how it compares to Pine Sol!! I'll pass on the spittle!!!! LOL

PS - In my case I actually gargled with the Pine Sol before I realized that it tasted like crap and burned my throat even worse than what it was when I woke up that night. As you know, when you gargle with any type of the liquid, some (very little), goes down your throat, so it was with the Pine Sol. That's why I had such a hard time getting the taste out of my mouth.

treblig

I drank a 30, 40 year old can of Duke Beer. Actually tasted really good lol.

IMG_7063.JPG

Effin Canuck ;-)

The heaters are a powder, aluminum powder and iron powder and salt. Adding water creates a shorted electrolytic battery: instant and prodigious heat. PM your address, I'll send you a couple.

:)Thanks, Jos! Appreciate the info and the offer. Sounds interesting! And a lot safer than C-4.

I'm getting kinda old and gimped up for camping though, so won't need the heaters. My choices right now are centered around whether my left knee will tolerate working the clutch pedal in my '57 or whether I'll have to change over to a slush box when the old girl is roadworthy once again (really don't want to do that if I don't have to). She's been sitting up in my garage for a while. Canadian built car still proudly wearing her '76 Saskatchewan license plate at the rear.

Oh...... Speaking of heaters...... My wife's new(er) car has seat heaters. I thought that was kinda useless down here in Texas where its hot most of the time, but we found a couple of good uses for them.......

* Wife uses the one on the passenger side to keep take out food warm on the way home.

* Me...... I like the A/C colder than she does. So when I'm riding with her, sometimes I'll reach over when she's not looking and turn her seat heater on so she'll turn the A/C down. :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Harry

-
Back