ATI damper

-

Radarsonwheels

Reaction score
I finally stepped up to a nice damper. I have my motor assembled to the point where I'm ready to loosely install the timing cover and drive the damper hub on to center the front seal before torquing the cover down.

I only have calipers, no nice inside mics to measure the hub and crank size to .0000 It feels like it wants to go on- I will use antiseize and drive it on with the crank bolt but I'm a little nervous about the fit without measuring or honing it out. I guess if it seems crazy tight I can heat it a little, pull it, and give it a gentle hone? I know it's the press fit that holds it, not the keyway. This is on a scat 4" cast piece.

Also, I have march pullies that worked fine with the (crap) professional products damper that lasted about two years before getting loose/spinning and the stock 40 year old piece I was running when I broke my old crank (not it's fault the cast eagle 4" arm amazed me by lasting thru 7 years of street beating).

Do these dampers usually line up ok or need a lot of shimming?

I guess I'll find out either way how this sucker fits but I was curious to hear from some experienced folks.

Thanks
Radar

Alright at least if anybody searches for this here's the deal-

The ATI super damper needs a 1/2" shorter crank pulley to line up. The ATI sticks out 1/2" farther.

The hub took some pounding with a plastic deadblow hammer to get on far enough but once I got enough threads started on the crank bolt the impact driver drove it on no problem.

I have march pullies and they have stock or 3/4" short for using with fluid dampers. So i had to order the .75" shorter pulley and a 1/4" spacer to bring it back out to 1/2" total.

My ATI damper was also a very snug fit. I used anti seize on the crank snout and used a balancer installation tool to get it on. I bought my balancer with SBC pulley bolt pattern so I would have a larger variety of pulleys...which was a great concept.....but I found out later that I would have to grind the back of the SBC pulleys flat AND that they didn't have a larger enough hole in the center to go over the bolt that retains the damper :banghead:...after that debacle I do MUCH more research before making any 'smart' choices like that, lol.

On a positive note, I love the damper. When I switched from an external balanced engine to an internal balanced engine I just sent my balancer back to ATI, they removed the counter weight and rebuilt the damper for cheap...very nice customer service as well.

-
Back