attaching sail panel boards

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together a 1970 Dart 2 dr Hardtop. Time to put the sail panel boards in place. There is what appears to be a nail on each side in the metal structure of the car. I can feel behind and it is long, pointed and doesn't seem to have threads. The head doesn't have a phillips or slot, just blank like a nail head. You can spin it and move it in and out to some extent , but they don't want to come out. What are these things and what do you do to install new sail panel boards? If no one has the magic bullet I'll post photos tomorrow.

This may help you see the issue. This is new sail panel for a 73 to 76 Swinger and Scamp models.
There are plastic pins that are attached to the sail panel and could be hit with the back of your fist or maybe they had a special hammer. ( a two
20210304_195846.jpg
hit install, if you will)
The way I removed the panel was to get as close to the pins and pull. Realize the car is nearly 50 years old. Some things will just have to be replaced. Have fun and good luck.

20210304_195833.jpg

Triumphman - The 1970 sail panels are different , but the information is really helpful. In 1970 the sail panel board is not covered like the one you show, but rather that area is covered as part of the whole headliner. I think in 1970 they did about what you describe, but the fastener is metal and I think they never thought anyone would ever replace it. I think I'll have to cut the head off, drive the spike through and then replace it in the same place (as the board has a premade hole for it, I presume to accurately locate the board). There's just one on each side. Hearing how the later ones work gives me some confidence to drive the old one out and replace it. Are the reinforcements on your boards the way they came or an improvement that you made? I think I will do that, or something similar on mine.

Thank you!

You could probably use a nylon push pin fastener like modern cars have in trunk lining, etc.. Some have very thin head that wouldn't show through the headliner. You would likely need to drill the holes to correct size.

I purchased the panels from Legendary. And, as you can see they reinforced the pin locations.

-
Back