Attaching speedo cable to instrument cluster

-

lil elephant

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how the speedometer cable attaches to the instrument cluster? mine keeps coming out and of course the speedometer doesn't work. something has to hold this cable down but its missing from my car. can you identify it and suggest where i might purchase one. Thanks for your consideration....... :thumblef:

There should be a plastic hook on the cable end. It latches over a metal lip on the speedo connector.

Added Picture:
Here's a pic of the cable. Notice the white end with the clip. If the clip brakes off there nothing to hold it in place and you will need a new or use one.

07-09-2004_010.jpg

Damm, thats what I'am missing. Now, can I purchase just the plastic part or the complete speedometer cable? Thanks for your responses. :salut:

The cable in my 73 scamp has the clip busted off as well, 5 bucks at the local U pull it yard and it's going in this weekend.

my 66 dart had a like screw in type, seems a lil more practical but i guess they dont really make cars for you to take them apart

If your speedometer is threaded then see if you can get the pre-69 cable that has a nut on both ends, they`re much more reliable. I haven`t seen many of the plastic connectors that the retaining clips aren`t broken on.

if its thereaded on the back of the cluster or were and what kind of car would i get the cable from or part number

DusterBoy15 said:
if its thereaded on the back of the cluster or were and what kind of car would i get the cable from or part number
An early A-body like a 67 Dart or Barracuda. A lot of auto parts stores have (or are still able to get) this speedometer cable. If you can`t get it locally then one of the restoration places should be able to help.

What do you do for a cable on a 64 that had a push button and now has a 727 tranny?:

And where can I get one?
thanks

djwhog said:
What do you do for a cable on a 64 that had a push button and now has a 727 tranny?:

And where can I get one?
thanks
I wouldn`t think that the pushbutton would have any bearing on the speedo cable but if the 904 connection is different from a 727 just look for a car that would have had a 340 or 383.

The new cable will have a compression nut on the end that attaches to the speedometer. The back of the "speedometer" may have a threaded connection for the cable. I believe some of the post `69 speedometers are not threaded. Here`s a speedo cable from www.jacksautoparts.com for $34.95. You can see the connections, but before you do anything just make sure your speedometer is threaded first.

speedocable.jpg

Roll Call...I know an 69 Valaint and 70 Duster didn't have threads. Not sure about 71 up?

ok i know the white clip part goes on my cluster but were does the other screw on side go? tranny? diff? or were 73 duster

DusterBoy15 said:
ok i know the white clip part goes on my cluster but were does the other screw on side go? tranny? diff? or were 73 duster
Like Elephant killer said , lower drivers side of transmission.

ok and if the connector on the cable to the cluster is good does that mean the gears bad? or the cable

DusterBoy15 said:
ok and if the connector on the cable to the cluster is good does that mean the gears bad? or the cable
About 90% of the time it`s the actual metal cable. If the housing is ok then you can go to the HELP section at your local auto parts store and buy just the metal cable that you cut to length.

My 68 Darts use the plastic clip. I think the 67 year is when it was changed to the clip style. Also check to see if your cable has laid on your exhaust pipe at some point and melted. I have seen that alot. The plastic melts and when your car cools off the plastic hardens and locks the cable from spinning. That will twist off the end of the inside cable. You might check the back of your speedo, too. Usually when you take the instrument panel loose, it's tilted forward to see what is attached to it. When it's tilted forward and you are trying to get it loose, the plastic clip cracks where it is attached to the speedo cable. Then it separates leaving the clip on the back of the speedo. Sometimes super glue or JB Weld will hold it back together. I've also seen a worm clamp used.

-
Back