Auction cars

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Would you ever consider buying a car at one of the auctions they run? There's an upcoming auction in my area with a few decent looking cars-as far as the pics go-

Wondering if I should register to bid since I'm in the market.

Any good stories/horror stories?

I have done Barrett-Jackson and Russo-Steele several times buying and selling.Some of the cars are good deals if your timing is right. Meaning on no reserve days you will find good buys the first day and the last day.B-J runs 5 days in Arizona.The heavy hitters come out to play Friday-Sat-Sun. So Wednesday-Thurs you can find some good deals.And then again late Sunday as the big boys are already on their jets headed home.
Russo-Steele AZ is 3 days and have a mix of reserve and non. If a car goes thru and is a no sale it is tagged "Still for Sale" and they have people that will haggle with the owner for a better price.Some go for it some don't. It's not a mopar but I missed a Caddy Alante' for 6K, low miles, showroom condition.Not for me but my brother wanted one.I couldn't get him on the phone in time for a yes. I have seen many go for way less than what it would cost to build one(A-B bodys) A very nice triple black 70 Duster 340 4 speed was a sale at a few bucks over 20K. It's easy to put well over that to restore one.
Many 318 cars that are very clean never make it passed 6-7K.Same with C body non Letter cars.
You know a good body man? take him with you.You into matching # and correct everything?Same thing, find a friend who knows his #'s and ask if he wants to go along.
I can go on and on but if you are serious buyer it's a lot of fun and a bit of hard work.
This is just my take on what I have seen in the last 10 years.

We have sort of back-woods one down here.
It was this weekend.

If I had 40K, I could have bought a nice 69 Super Bee that was probably worth it.

Most stuff that's anywhere close to what I can afford has issues. Mostly bad quarter work. They still get bid up to 10K plus for cars I wouldn't give 7-8K for.

Just gotta look REAL close, and know what you are looking at and what to look for.

-
Back