Aussie 62 Valiant

-
Looks like a great project! Love the way you've done the dash with the vents. Subscribed.

What an interesting build.
Your skills with fiberglass are very good, so why not build fiberglass bumpers for the car yourself?

Thanks for the possitive coments. No progress for this week, just got back from a show. Check out the post on the Mopar babes thread! Great to have a weekend off and go away with the wife and a few good friends! We went in her car and took out top female entrant and second place in Elite class in sound off. Not to bad for a home built car and audio system! Next week should see me back to working on my engine bay, will post pics asap.

Marty

Marty,

Great job on the firwall. Looks like you got rid of that waste of space, air vent cowl. May need to do the same to mine to fit the a/c in. What is your plans for the lovers below the screen with refrence to water ingress??
Got a whack of gear comming form mine soon so hope to get a bit of progress on it. Got a new steering coloum, final bits for brakes and interior gear, nothing better than opening up those kind of boxes.

Amazing work , Marty ! True craftsmanship , especially in that climate control system you're devising .

Thanks for sharing all of those vintage pics of cars past .

Keep up the great work !:happy1:

Some people are simply gifted. I am not among them. Great work.

Since nothing current is happening here's a few more photos from the dash build. I fitted a Commodore (again Aussie GM from 1996) steering column that is tilt and collapsible. Cheap and meets rego specs while having wiper controls for the matching motor I used to meet the two speed requirement. Out here Chrysler got cheap and only fitted single speed wipers.

I used a string line to get the wheel dead square to the car. I also moved the column 1 1/2 inches to the right to be centred with the seat. Using the original possition has an odd feel as you are reaching to the left to the wheel!

View attachment 13.jpg

View attachment 12.jpg

View attachment 11.jpg

This is the GM motor mounted striaght into the original motor holes, it just ends up facing up at 45 degrees instead of down at 45 like factory. The mount has been modified to bolt to the new bracket that holds the column.

View attachment 3.jpg

The arm on the right is the Valiant and the other the GM arm. I cut the end that attaches to the motor off the GM arm and alined it with the centre of the Chrysler one and tack welded it in place from underneith. The Chrysler end was then cut away before the welds were completed. This keeps everything working as original but with the later motor, again cheap, easy and keeps rego happy.

View attachment 1.jpg

View attachment 2.jpg

good to see mate.hopefully it will turn up at cotm "albury" soon.youre inspiring me.

2012 would kill me but hope to make 2013! As this should my last build quality is more important than speed but I can't wait to drive it! Biggest hold up at the moment is an engine. The one pictured earlier was a loner from a wrecker just to check fitment. I have found a new American version of the V6 that is another 37Kw more powerful and has a 6 speed auto but I can't get Cadillac to respond to my emails to buy an ECU and loom so I may have to buy second hand but thats another story!

Not much has happened this week, the mig is off line, i.e. it's broken. New parts should be here this week but I did manage to set up the fuel filler. I mounted a 68 Barracuda filler a while ago but had trouble finding the floor section the filler tube fits into. I had Pentastar parts fabricate this one for me. The tank is from a 1969 Pacer 4 door, similar to the Dart of the same year, and carries 17 gallons up from the original 62 tank with 10 3/4 gallons.

View attachment 5.jpg

View attachment 7.jpg

View attachment 4.jpg

View attachment 3.jpg

Well the mig parts arrived so some progress was made. The fuel filler is now done and some more work on the fire wall is under way. The flat panel is fully welded but i decided to fit a reinforcing panel the full width inside the dash. The area around the bonnet hinge is very messy from factory so I'm plating this off.

View attachment 12.jpg

More welding yet to be done but you get the idea!

View attachment 11.jpg

I'll update this as more gets done.

Once the first trial fit of the actual engine that's being used was done it was evident the sump would have to be modified. Unsure what the difference was with the engine we borrowed to test fit and modify the K frame but 30mm had to be cut from this sump! That meant a loss of .69 of a litre so the back of the sump has to be extended to keep the correct volume.

It's off to the welders next week!

View attachment 010.jpg

View attachment 012.jpg

View attachment 015.jpg

View attachment 018.jpg

-
Back