Australian A-body, where is the fender tag/option tag supposed to be?

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My apologies if this should be posted on a different forum, but this one seems to have the right name for this Newbie.

I'm working on an Australian A-Body ('71 VG Valiant) for a good friend of mine, and for the life of me I can't find a fender/option tag on this car. Or at least I can't find anything in the engine compartment that looks similar to the tags I see on US cars.

I have found some stampings pressed directly into the inner fender on the RH side of the car, but other than that...nada.

So my question is: On a 1971 Chrysler Valiant VG from Australia (RH drive), should there be a fender tag somewhere? And if so, where the heck is it?

Jim

I had a 70 VG ute and the tag was on the inner fender and a couple other tags or decals on the firewall...

1970 VG ute engine.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! There are a couple stickers on the firewall of this car, but there's nothing on the fender(s) like I see on your car. I wonder if it was removed when the car was repainted (original color) before being imported here...

Is that the Hemi 6?

(Edit: Meant to add a picture of the engine compartment of this car from a few years ago.)

P6030311.JPG

Last edited:
The body number is stamped into the RHS inner fender/guard and the ID/Compliance/Option code plate should be riveted to the RHS of the firewall, sounds like it might be missing from this vehicle though.
Body numbers can be decoded here Valiant Decode Centre | Vin Decoder | PlumKrazy Garage
Aus option codes can be researched here Chrysler Valiant Option Codes
The photo below shows where the plates are normally located on the firewall, this is from my VF model, a VG would only have a single plate though. Trust this helps a bit.
1690315932857.jpeg

Last edited:
The inner fender tag referred to in an earlier post is actually a specification data label.
1690317968796.png

First of all, that's a beautiful engine compartment!

Secondly, thank you so much for the info! As you can see there is indeed a tag/sticker on the RH firewall of this car, but when I've glanced at it quickly in the past I thought it was a worn-out decal, it's that worn. I'll try to get a more detailed picture of it tonight/this evening in the hopes that some info may be gleaned from it.

You're a Good Man, sir!

First of all, that's a beautiful engine compartment!

Secondly, thank you so much for the info! As you can see there is indeed a tag/sticker on the RH firewall of this car, but when I've glanced at it quickly in the past I thought it was a worn-out decal, it's that worn. I'll try to get a more detailed picture of it tonight/this evening in the hopes that some info may be gleaned from it.

You're a Good Man, sir!
Thank you, decoding the body number on the fender should tell you a lot about the vehicle.

Thanks to you kind people, I found it! Thank you.

All along I've been looking for a US-like tag, and wondering how the owner knew all of the facts about his car.

Like Paul Harvey used to say; "And now you know...the rest of the story. Good day!" (Those of us of a certain age here in the States probably just heard his voice in our head.)

-
Back