auto 318 crank work for a a833?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
im rebuilding a 318 and plan on doing a 4speed swap (from a 904). I remember reading about having a special crank that works with the a833. Can someone refresh my memory? i dont want to rebuild the whole motor just to have the crank not work when it comes time to mate them together.

thanks!:happy1:

only difference is cranks machined for the stick have the second hole in them, i.e tq register and then the pilot bearing hole...

just look and see you could have both already or just have the shop drill it out.

"It depends." Some are drilled deep enough, some are not, some are finished and are in effect a 4 speed crank, and some are undersized.

I woud mock up the crank in the block, with the bell on, and measure depth, compare against the shaft on your 4 speed. A common "old school" trick is to knock some off the shaft, usually 1/4--3/8 is all that's needed, sometimes no more than the factory chamfer.

The newer "Jeep style" bearing which fits in the converter register seems to be a better deal, and if the crank pilot diameter is deep enough, but undersized, you can still use the newer, "big" pilot. These come in both bushing and needle bearing.

Only flaw in that plan is an early crank, which has a smaller converter register, and will not accept the later "big" bushing

IMAG0146.jpg

PB876.jpg

The block is a 67 LA318. but the crank is from a 73 318. so what your saying is i could use a jeep style bearing in a late model 318 converter register?

Yup. So long as the hole is deep enough, as I said, mock up the bell and measure the depth from the gearbox mounting face.

-
Back