auto parts store's

-

bill paynter

67 Cuda
Reaction score
Is just me and the area I live in,shouldn't it be a requirment that if you work at an auto parts store, that you have some experience or at least like cars. I have to travel to the nearest speed shop to get real help.

No, it's everywhere! I worked in management for close to 20 years for the second largest auto parts retail chain in the country. We were constantly forced to hire people who had no experience at all. Before I left I was told to hire a gentleman, who had been in manufacturing all his life, as an assistant manager. Reason being he had experience in doing paper work. Needless to say I finally got fed up with the corporate lifestyle and left. I called the store a few weeks after I left, trying to find an Edelbrock carb and this gentleman answered the call. When I told him what I was looking for (even giving him the part number) he asked me how to spell Edelbrock! Damn I'm glad I left! So the only way to fight this is to support your local speed shop and mom and pop parts stores or the only choices we will have left will be the "Walmarts" with stock clerks instead of parts techs who can actually help you in what you need.

bill paynter said:
Is just me and the area I live in,shouldn't it be a requirment that if you work at an auto parts store, that you have some experience or at least like cars. I have to travel to the nearest speed shop to get real help.

I have to tell you we have a real deal auto parts store in our area, They are definately the highest price place in the area. (compaired to the large nation wide retailers) But they know my name and know there cars and parts. Its a pleasure to deal with them. There out there you just have to look a little harder or ask your local repair shop who they purchase fro.

No as for speed shops the only one in my area the fellow is so arogant I have to purchase all of my needed speed equiptment on line. I would not mind paying more for the speed parts from a local guy but he is so nasty i cant give him a penny

Good Luck

I know exactly what you mean! We have them like that here also. Like you said you just have to hunt around until you find one that suits you. Just so you'll know I happen to run a speed shop, and I am not advertising or anything, but if I can help any of you guys out with anything just drop me a line and I'll do my best to help you out.

I used to work for a Large Retail Auto Parts Store, even as far as part of Mis-Management. They prefer to only show people how to use the computer and to disregard the books. When I started working there the books were in the back area in storage. It was so funny to me because if you had anything pre 67 they only listed vw bugs. Must of been the only car produced before then according to them. So any time you ask for a part from an older car they get that deer in the headlight look. I prefer to just ask for the parts book. But I still get the guy who can look it up on the computer. So I go thru the whole schpeeel of

"What year and make of vehicle" 64 Dodge
"Model?" Dart Wagon
Hmm it's not in here!
"What part are you looking for?" Front Brake pads
"Ok let me get the book"
"Ok let me see here, ok here it is, uh it has disc brakes?" Yes from a 73 dart
"Uh they won't like fit or somthing" Just give me the book

Its crazy who parts places hire----ahh do you what to super size that cam order----is that for here or to go,please pull around to the second window please.

"O'Reilly" had a few of them. after countless times of going there, though, i think I have made an impression. I always got the "Make, Model, Year" questioning, until they learned (YES...they were actually willing to LEARN that there were interchanges!!!!) that I was never buying parts for what I was working on. (67 barracudas didn't come with 400s)
I always have my part numbers before i go, and they are always really willing and happy to help me find what I need.

At Advance, they ask for the car info even after i give them a part number. I say i need part number such and such, made by whoever, and they ask "what year and model of car"
they want to be stupid, so i tell them it's a 67 barracuda. and after they loook it up, they say they don't have that for that car. then i have to argue and get the manager to get them to look it up by PART...NOT car.

If you have an auto parts store (a real one) nearby, support it with your business. Cause if you don't, you'll be left with pep boys, etc. You don't want to have to resort to that. The Detroit area just lost our remaining speed shop chain (ramchargers). Now where do you go for that holley bowl gasket on a saturday afternoon? At least us mopar guys have mancini's. Support em or lose em!

the speed shops around here all cater to rice rockets and crap like that luckily i work for a tools store that is branching out into custom cars and muscle cars but not ricers so i can order most parts through them and get them at good prices

Because of the poor parts stores in my area, I buy a lot of my parts from Summit, Jegs,
Mancini, etc. I really want to buy locally from the smaller stores but am really disappointed with the customer service and these local stores don't stock anything. That's why mail order keeps growing. Customer service is huge, and I will be inclined to pay a little more for good customer service.

got prtialy that problem if i go to the carparts chains store that is open during the wekeends but i never have any problems with my local few speedshops they know my car inside out anyway (exept for my cam card that is my busines ;) )
and i also work for a place selling and importing parts for new and old american cars that always helps;) i have all the catalogs and stuf i will need for my lunchbreak time to find the parts i need...
i absolutely hate those people that cant look alitle bit further than there computercrap program that cant find 2.02 intake valves for a -69 340 engine sitting in a 73 duster and when they cant find a 3" mandrelbent exhaust when all i am asking for is a few universal exhaust bends that i know they have in stock..

-
Back