AUTO TO 4 SPD

-

A/MP

Reaction score
When I built my '65 Dart drag car, it was a tight fit for a 904. I heavily modified the trans hump to get the trans to fit easily and give me room for repairs and strapping on the trans blanket. Looking at another that has no trans. Thinking about a 4 spd. Can't see how a 10 1/2 clutch and scattershield is going to fit in the space alloted. Thinking about a hydraulic clutch to so the linkage issues should be greatly reduced. This Dart will start out as a street/shakedown car and wind up doing a fair bit of road racing. Any help?

The early As came with a 9 1/2" clutch/flywheel and a correspondingly smaller bellhousing. To use a 10 1/2" clutch with the larger bellhousing you'll run into many of the same issues as trying to fit a 727 into the tunnel; i.e. pounding the firewall/floorpan flange flat, and lots of judicious clearancing with a BFH. Then go on a mission to locate the elusive early A 4 spd. hump. Check Brewer's for linkage, I believe they carry modified/custom pieces for the 10 1/2 into early A swap. If you're going to use a scattershield, expect all the above issues to be magnified. Plus there will be issues with the exhaust; early A headers and clutch linkages LOVE trying to occupy the same real estate. Even with a hydro. There's just not a lot of room in there.
Good Luck!

-
Back