auto to 5spd conversion question

-

wracks71

Reaction score
i am thinking of buying another duster and converting it to a 5spd from an auto. i know this has probably been talked about before. i have an option to buy an auto car and swap it to a 5spd. or get a 4spd car and swap it to a spd. the auto car is cheaper by half the price. i already have a new 600 tremec from a torino project that i am going to get rid of,so the big expense is done. need opinions!

If you've already got the tko trans, buy a bell from quicktime and hack a hole in the floor to bolt it in.

You're gonna need to build a new tunnel and beef/rebuild the crossmember in either car so I don't think it matters which you start with. The only thing the 4 speed car has going for it is the pedals.

If you've already got the tko trans, buy a bell from quicktime and hack a hole in the floor to bolt it in.

You're gonna need to build a new tunnel and beef/rebuild the crossmember in either car so I don't think it matters which you start with. The only thing the 4 speed car has going for it is the pedals.

how much of the tunnel needs to be rebuilt? not to worried about the crossmember,i can bend some tubing and build a new one or something. so how hard are the pedals to find and install?

Here's a link with some pictures.

I see 4 speed pedals pop up once in a while, might check Brewer's Transmission to see if they sell them. Installing them is the easy part.

I know a guy around here that had a set of pedals he had expressed an interest in selling. If you run into a road block there, I can ask him if he still had them.

Here's a link with some pictures.

I see 4 speed pedals pop up once in a while, might check Brewer's Transmission to see if they sell them. Installing them is the easy part.

I know a guy around here that had a set of pedals he had expressed an interest in selling. If you run into a road block there, I can ask him if he still had them.

cool. thanks!

I had the tunnel cut open on my car. The fabricator just used a piece of flat stock over the trans to replace what he cut out, but he triangulated what was left of the oem torsion bar mount/crossmember into the subframe connectors.

I had the tunnel cut open on my car. The fabricator just used a piece of flat stock over the trans to replace what he cut out, but he triangulated what was left of the oem torsion bar mount/crossmember into the subframe connectors.

cool. i may have to pick your brain on this a little more. i am looking for a 4 spd. duster to build for track use,so i might put the 5 spd in my 71. i hate to cut the floor too much,but oh well!

cool. i may have to pick your brain on this a little more. i am looking for a 4 spd. duster to build for track use,so i might put the 5 spd in my 71. i hate to cut the floor too much,but oh well!
Ask away......keep in mind that the trans that is in my car is a gm4l80e, it is a VERY large unit......

im going to stick a t56 in my 74 duster. if you chop out the crossmember you need to add something pretty substantial to replace it. the actory trans mount and crossmember take a lot of stress from the torsion bars. only thing you will use from a factory 4 speed car is the pedals. you will probably go with a hydraulic clutch. i would just go for an auto car and spend the 1-200 on pedals. i need to figure out what im going to run for cylinder heads and ill be ready to start the swap.

My fab guys reasoning was the torsion bars rotate, with them being triangulated into the subframe connectors they will not be able to rotate. Time will tell if he is right...

well,my trans fried this weekend before i even got to race at Run Through The Hills saturday! so the 5 spd. will be going in my present duster. i talked to Shafi Keisler about the rest of the stuff i need and if he gets his heart right,i might just let them put it in. i'll be doing a b-body 8 3/4 rear swap also with my detroit/3:91 chunk i have also.

you know, i tried to buy a clutch from keisler for my 6 speed swap, and since i didnt buy anything else from them, they didnt want to help me. told me i need to have a clutch custom built for my "custom" application with such an combination of parts.

i decided to put the trmec i have in my car and the hell with it. i might do a thread of the install depending on interest..

-
Back