Auto trans 46re issue

-

kris hines

Reaction score
Hey all, this is not for an A body but still a mopar. I have a 99 Dakota r/t, the trans was rebuilt but a reputable shop about 4 years ago, the truck sits alot and probably only had 5 or 6k miles in the 4 years. The issue i am having started as the truck not wanting to move, free revving until higher RPMs then it catches an starts to move and will shift, it sat all winter, and i took it out this weekend, i got only 100 feet or so down the road and noticed it would not move, free revving again but would not move even under higher rpm's. i was able to limp it back home under idle.

so all that out of the way im thinking possibly a bad torque converter? interested in some other opinions. My experience with transmissions is not that extensive......lol

Thanks for any help all,

Kris

46RE is based on a 727, the problem you have is called converter drain back...the converter will drain back into the pan....and once started it will need to refill itself before the truck will move.....and when it starts in park the pump does not circulate fluid to the converter...

after starting truck ..put it in neutral for a minute...then the converter will be filled before you move...

to fix the problem one of the valves in the valve body must be replaced by a Sonnax replacement or put it in neutral

thanks for the quick reply!! just to be sure i explained everything correctly. Even once it starts moving as soon as i slow down it starts slipping again and just free revs. as well as each time it shifts. I know the valve bodys in the trans were very problematic, so i can completely see why the valve body is more likely the culprit :)

ive only be able to get it in second, but yes it does the same thing. doesnt grab until higher rpms if it grabs at all. once in second it does the same, have to rev to higher rpms to get it to grab if it even does. constantly does this.

First things to check- fluid level idling in neutral warm and condition of fluid. If the fluid is still red and low, try filling to the full line and retry. If the fluid is brown/ black, that is a totally different story. I have rebuilt so many of those at the dealer that I ended up buying my own tooling for them. The weak link is the overdrive piston, and once that seal goes, it just starts eating stuff up if you don't catch them in time. Check your fluid ASAP

There was some kind of issue.........some models have a check valve in the transmission cooler piping, up by the radiator, and there was some kind of issue with them sticking/ plugging? I concluded "remove it" from the internet "advice" and when I went to repair a leak in this area on my ram......found it had already been removed!!!

I agree with Del on this, and if it doesn't have a plugged cooler line valve somebody did a half assed rebuild.

thanks for all the great advice. Hopefully i will have the barracuda back on the road in the next week or 2 so i can pull the truck in and start on it. Most likely will be pulling the motor anyways, its needed a rebuild for the past few years. but now that you mentioned i the check valve issue i remember hearing about years ago. I have alot to check now, thanks for the pointing in the right direction!!!

I have heard there is a check ball inline of the cooler lines that can plug up or stick and kill the trans. I am going to make sure I remove that on my truck.

-
Back