Autolite 63?

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
My most recent purchase came with 318 with 302 heads, Comp 260 cam, stock manifolds, and TTI exhaust, which came installed with Autolite 63 plugs. 43k original miles on motor. The motor does use a little oil. Would it be okay to continue using the same plug number? Maybe a colder plug was used by the previous owner to ward off any detonation risks if a little oil is being burned.

I run Champions and nothing else. I have had issues with Auto lites being too cold in 273 and 318's.

The big question is how do they look? If they don't prematurely foul then they are probably a good choice. I've had just the opposite experience of Mike only I was running mostly big blocks.

Well, they get a little ashy with time, either a small leak in intake gasket but most likely some loss in ring tension over time (gaskets replaced once on intake). Uses a quart of 15w40 every 600-800 miles. Runs great and no misfires, very smooth. My thought was the cooler 63 number is used to help mitigate any detonation risks at high RPM if the fuel charged is leaned a bit from oil burning.

My other 318 with 46k since rebuild and XE268 cam and open chamber stock heads uses no oil at all and runs Autolite 66s. Runs good with those, but again slightly lower static compression and no oil burn.

Autolites if they're working for ya' stick with them..champions are "garbage"...

-
Back