Automatic/manual valve body

-
I figured that was the case (can manually shift an automatic valve body) but I guess my confusion is why folks swap to a manual valve body. I assumed there must be some issue w/ shifting an automatic body if people want to switch to a manual. What's wrong w/ it?

I have an automatic valve body that will not shift out of 1st. I'm going to remove it and see if I can figure out why it won't shift but I'm really not sure what I'm looking for. I figured this would be a good time to make an upgrade if there's something better to have (w/o going full manual).

If it won't shift out of 1st, I'd be checking the governor to see if it's stuck or has broken seal rings, etc., before looking at the valve body.

I don't think I can get to the governor w/o dropping the trans (too tight to the floor to slide the tailshaft housing off). I figured it would be easier to check the valve body 1st instead of dropping the trans to check the governor.

Besides, I talked to someone at a transmission shop that suggested slipping it into reverse at 10 mph to free the governor. I tried that several times gradually increasing the speed. It didn't work but I know that doesn't rule out the governor.

-
Back