Automatic/Manual?

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I'm very new to the world of Mopar. Within the last few months I picked up a beautiful 69 Barracuda convertible. As I start to plan for drive train improvements, I've decided to stick with the /6 and am undecided about the transmission, it's currently auto on the column. I see members doing absolutely beautiful restorations, spending tens of thousands of $$. I would have assumed that the transmission of choice would be 4 or 5 speed, however the tranny of choice seems to be an automatic in 4 of 5 cases. When I think muscle car I think clutch...shift, what am I not taking into account?

Jim

some people are clueless or something

4 speed's rule!!!!

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

That is a yes and no affair and is all about how you want the car. In my case if I'm driving a convertible, I'm not about to go row through some damn gears so auto only. A hardtop is either way depending on what you're doing. A strip only car would be auto only, a road racer/auto cross would (or should) be a stick. As far as the Duster I'm building now (much to my dismay which I was told) will be an auto because the person now wanting to drive it can't/won't drive a stick because of age/knee problems.
If you opt for an auto and are not dead set on it being an all Mopar drivetrain look at the GM 200r4. It is smaller then a 904 or 727, which means you don't have to do tranny tunnel surgery in order to make it fit. Don't require a computer to work (just a 12volt source to kick the torque converter into lock up mode). However, like the 904 it needs to be built up internally for it to take any real power (seen the 200r4 live quite nicely behind 1200hp grand national) and like the 904, takes less horse power to power it then a 727. The GM 200r4 is an overdrive tranny (in case I didn't state that earlier).

Thanks Duster, I appreciate the feedback.
My last manual daily driver was about 20 years ago. I live in the NYC/Philly area and having to continually work a clutch in stop and go trafffic became a pain tin the ***....literally.
So you wouldn't want to be bothered by shifting while cruising in a convertible, never really gave it much thought.

I think what Duster was saying is that in a convertible, you won't be horsing around as much, mainly cruising, and it is nice to drop it in drive and just cruise. I always preferred stick when I was younger but, for sitting in traffic, I sure like an auto. (floor shift and shift kit though).

Really, up to you as far as how you like to drive.

personally, I would think with an underpowered 6, you would want the ability to maximize what you've got with a manual. However I would agree with Duster..if you intend to really drive this car....go with the overdrive tranny, wether it is a manual or a GM200r4 auto. Enjoy the car and send us some pics as you go!

Thanks Duster, I appreciate the feedback.
My last manual daily driver was about 20 years ago. I live in the NYC/Philly area and having to continually work a clutch in stop and go trafffic became a pain tin the ***....literally.
So you wouldn't want to be bothered by shifting while cruising in a convertible, never really gave it much thought.

In a convertible, I'm letting the car do the work. I'm just there for some uneventful driving fun. That being said, doesn't mean the car can't have 500+ HP on tap and give you whiplash from a dead stop :twisted:

This really becomes a left/right brain decision..lol. On one hand I would like to just put the top down, stick my elbow out and cruise. on the other, the six is underpowered and as my father would say" you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". But it would be fun to shift every now and then

Trying to upload pictures

Attachments

• P1000325 (800x600).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 129
  • P1000326 (800x600).jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 121
This really becomes a left/right brain decision..lol. On one hand I would like to just put the top down, stick my elbow out and cruise. on the other, the six is underpowered and as my father would say" you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". But it would be fun to shift every now and then

Sounds like the perfect reason the get another car make it a stick! My Duster is an auto but my Chevelle SS is a 6 speed manual!

Nice looking car there

Thanks Duster...only in my dreams could this come close to an SS

I was/is my very first car (got it dirt cheap because the guy owed me money), and I'm the second owner. Currently, the car is sitting in my aunts garage (due to lack of storage room) and she loves every minute that I don't have a place to store it. She get to drive it (I don't think "drive" is the correct word for it, because she takes it past 130+ regularly) in exchange for storage. I'm not worried about it because of all her road racing experience.

I've been doing some digging and apparently Mopar made a 4 speed overdrive that was produced in the late 70, early 80's on Volares and Aspens. Have to start checking some local salvage yards. Any advice would be welcome!

although i dont currently own a 4 speed car, im converting my 70 dart to a 4 speed car. in my mind, only true muscle cars have four speeds...for example, "sweet car man! is it an auto or stick car?" ...its an auto...."oh.."

or, "its a 4 speed manual"......."oh yea?, thats awesome!!"

I agree Dude. There's something about working through the gears, even if it's just a six.

I am going with a 4 speed overdrive in my slant powered 63 Dart. Primarily because I have owned a lot of auto equipped cars and want something different plus the car was already manual transmission. However, I think a lot of people forget about something when making the decision. The torque converter. Converters are torque multipliers, clutches are not. A clutch is either on or off. The torque converter can multiply the engine's torque many times. The clutch cannot. Torque converter technology has come a long way in the last ten years......heck even in the last five years. It all really boils down to what you want to do, but don't let anyone talk you out of an automatic because they are not "hot rod" enough. There is no way in hell a manual transmission will ever outshift or out pull a properly prepared automatic. No way no how no time. That bein said, it's tough to beat the fun of rowin through the gears. Tough choice for sure.

Im like Rob,going with a manual 4 speed o.d. The area where I live is very mountanous with many turns and curves,plus lots of highway time to go anywhere. The automatic with deep gears doesnt work all that well on the highway,but works very well with an o.d 4 speed. At least with the o.d I'll get more drive time in!

Thanks for your thoughts. You guys aren't making this any easier, I'm hearing solid cases for both sides.

I was at the same crossroad when I got my 69 Dart vert, but opted to stay with automatic. Alot of the same reasons as listed... but more-so because I plan to cruise with the top down around town. I have had 4spds before and miss/enjoy the heck outta 'em, but I can always change over later if I want.

This was an easy and cost effective swap just getting rid of the column shift and adding new shifter/linkage and console (see my thread below). The only downer in my case is I could use a 4th gear for highway driving... but 99% of my driving is around town, so its all good. I have a 360 with 727 trans and 8 3/4pos with 3:55 gears and the rpms are up there when driving over 55mph. I was thinkin of an overdrive unit... but for now Ill just keep her around town.

Good luck! Nice ride...

Check my thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=82832
See # 17 and #37

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 1dart Jan 2011 002.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 77
Thanks, just read through your post. The car is nice, never really was aware of all the cool Mopars out there. Although I learned to drive on a 65 Dart, /6, 3 on the tree. As I kid my eyes were drawn to Chevy's....Corvettes and Chevelle's mainly. I guess I'll kick over the pros and cons some more, I'm in no real rush. My main goal over the winter is to make it road worthy for warm weather cruising. The electric system is shot, so i've got a few months to learn automotive electrical. Our cars are the same color, B-5. I was thinking of going black with the interior and adding the floor console whether I go auto or 4 speed. The interior is every bit of 43 years, everything needs attention.

-
Back