automatic trans cooler flow direction

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm installing an A500, but I think the answer for this would apply to all Torqueflites - which port in the side of the transmission pumps trans fluid to the cooler and which is the return line. I'm installing an aftermarket trans cooler and want the pressure line to go to the fitting on top and the return line to leave the bottom of the cooler.

Thanks!

I'm installing an A500, but I think the answer for this would apply to all Torqueflites - which port in the side of the transmission pumps trans fluid to the cooler and which is the return line. I'm installing an aftermarket trans cooler and want the pressure line to go to the fitting on top and the return line to leave the bottom of the cooler.

Thanks!
image (1).jpg

I have mine in tandem with the one on the radiator and hooked it up like this. The red is hot, red and white radiator cool, and blue is the cool return in my colorized version.

Last edited:
Notice too, in that great factory diagram what I've preached for YEARS only to get argued into oblivion. The pressure, or inlet should be on the bottom of the auxiliary cooler. That way, trapped air is all but eliminated.

Are you also keeping the cooler in the rad as part of the system?

Notice too, in that great factory diagram what I've preached for YEARS only to get argued into oblivion. The pressure, or inlet should be on the bottom of the auxiliary cooler. That way, trapped air is all but eliminated.

This is new to me, and I believe you, but can you explain why so I can learn how/why this works?? Thanks!

This is new to me, and I believe you, but can you explain why so I can learn how/why this works?? Thanks!

the same as the bar trick of holding a coaster to the glass and flipping it up side down… the air bubble goes to the top and holds the coaster in place…

the cooler fills from the bottom, thus pushing the air to the top and then pushing the air back to the trans case…

The same way that air bubbles rise within any liquid; the liquid is heavier than the air. A long vertical run in a cooler could allow the air to keep rising back to the top of the run; against the direction of flow; same as a groundhog seeing his shadow..

The same way that air bubbles rise within any liquid; the liquid is heavier than the air. A long vertical run in a cooler could allow the air to keep rising back to the top of the run; against the direction of flow; same as a groundhog seeing his shadow..
So then, what about the radiators with both inlet/outlet on the bottom? Is there a procedure for burping the fluid?

-
Back