Automatic trans fluid lines question

-

68dartgtman

Reaction score
Hey Guys

need some help - so damn confused now - I need to replace the auto trans fluid lines to the radiator and looked on the bell housing for the number - according to the shop manual it should be either:

8 cyl - 318 - A-904-LA
8 cyl - 318 - A-727-A

the number I see on the side of the bell housing ( very large numbers) is 473

I assume this is the original trans according to all the service records history for the car but not 100% sure - left apron tag has the number "5" for a transmission but can't find anything to coorespond with that number or the "473" number on the bell housing

Help Please !!!!! has anyone else have any idea's what to look for now??

thank you very much ! :banghead:

Look at the transmission pan?!?

727904gasket.jpg

The 727 will have a kick out as seen in the upper right corner of the picture, the 904 will have a corner cut off.

Thanks 48Plymouth - I'll look there - not going to be easy - trans is still in car - when you say "oil pan rail" do you mean the engine oil pan or the transmission pan?

thanks !

well - just checked both places 48Plymouth told me and BrianT told me - here is what I found:

No numbers on the trans pan

the number on the trans pan rail is : 2892029Y 2257 0777

does anyone know what these numbers mean???

Hey BrianT

like I said above, no numbers on the trans pan itself but it has the cutoff corner like in the pic you sent for the 904 transmission

can I safly assume it's a 904 transmission ???
thank you !

Look at the transmission pan?!?

727904gasket.jpg

The 727 will have a kick out as seen in the upper right corner of the picture, the 904 will have a corner cut off.

Like Brian mentioned, the easiest way to determine which trans is by the pan. When you crawl under you'll see the trans pan surrounded by bolts. Compare yours to the pics above and below. Most of the time when you buy a pan gasket and filter they include both gaskets.

Attachments

• trans pics.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 108
Hey BrianT

like I said above, no numbers on the trans pan itself but it has the cutoff corner like in the pic you sent for the 904 transmission

can I safly assume it's a 904 transmission ???
thank you !

Yes. I think you'd be pretty safe in assuming that.

-
Back