AVS carb metering rods & step up springs

-

k3522

Reaction score
Lighter step up springs give me better mid range throttle response but heavier springs give me more power with a light ping at the end during hard acceleration. Timing is at 5 initial w/o vacum with a total of 24 mechanical advance for a total of 29 before the vacum advance.

Because I am new to carbs I picked the Edelbrock AVS because it is a good basic carb. The carb runs a little rich according to the plugs with the stock set up. I like the lighter spring set up characteristic but hate to give up too much power.

My question is can I run the stock step up spring with a say a leaner metering rod and get the best of both worlds?

A rookie needs a little guidance!

Yes, you could. A slightly leaner rod should do it well. BAsicly, you actually want to run a hair lean with the AFB/AVS carbs. It provides better accelration and overall idle and driveabilty's. Come winter, it should require nothing more than a twist of the screws (On the front of the carb) to richin it back up for the cold.

You are. The instruction booklet can be down loaded from Edebrock. Then you can print it up and take outside to read in peace inside the garage. He he he.

It will go through everything you need to know about tuning the AFB/AVS carbs.

-
Back