Awful Accident involving a N.C. Highway Patrolman

-
Thanks for posting, maybe someone will know the dork in the buick.

I gotta say the Son of the deceased Woman sure has nerves of steele.

that sucks, im sorry for the family. however i feel that the guy in the buick shouldn't be charged with anything but speeding and maybe reckless driving. he didn't technically cause the accident and he probably didnt even see it happen, it was just a mistake on all parts. my two cents and again i feel sorry for the family.

well im not gonna argue i just put down what i thought. i dont think that his actions directly caused it. maybe indirectly. this is the last post ill put on this thread i didnt mean to upset anyone or anything. sorry, just my opinion

Running from the police is not a "mistake"; it's a conscious decision to do something stupid. If your decision causes harm to others, inadvertently or not, then you deserve to be punished as though you directly caused the harm yourself. It's known as the Felony Murder Rule, where you can be charged with Homicide if during the commission of a Felony someone's death occurs as a result of the circumstances surrounding the crime. You don't have to be the one pulling the trigger, so to speak, you just have to be committing the related offense.
Whether the fleeing driver knew, saw or technically caused the collision isn't relevant. He created the situation when he fled instead of pulling over, as is required by law.

i do not see how a speeder could be charged.............
i did not hear anything about the blue buick eluding police. i heard that it was just sppeding, and the cop went after it

so if i am doing 65 in a 55 zone, and a cop pulls out of a side strret to pull me over, and a car hits him, am i responsible? i say not at all. sorry for the loss of life for the family though

i went back to the report, and the trooper says nothing about a chase, just that he turned around to GET the speeder..................

i do not see how a speeder could be charged.............
i did not hear anything about the blue buick eluding police. i heard that it was just sppeding, and the cop went after it

so if i am doing 65 in a 55 zone, and a cop pulls out of a side strret to pull me over, and a car hits him, am i responsible? i say not at all. sorry for the loss of life for the family though

I have to agree although the loss is tragic.

The police do have an uncanny ability to defend their own till the end, sorry just the way it is.

maybe there will be police video from the involved cruiser if equipped, most tapes will be in the trunk.

I do not know all of the facts, but I will say that I have ridden along with cops many times and will admit that they drive like friggin idiots in many cases.

I was on the pass side in a cruiser once and the driver was flying down a side road, ran a stop sign with a blind road to the left.
I was scared shiftless and thought if a car was coming I would have been dead meat.

Man thats bad. A cop ran into a girl around here and killed here. She was 18 and the cop was speeding up a blind hill for a domestic violence call, not that urgent if you ask me. Another guy recently got killed in a hothod by some dumbo teen texting and driving, such a shame, all could have been prevented.

The terrible thing about this is that there were also 3 kids in that car and one of the children also lost her life. As for the driver of the Buick, I agree that the driver if found, should be charged with both deaths of the people involved in this accident. He WAS at fault in this case by his sheer negligence in fleeing from the highway patrol and if he was not running from the cop, there would have never been such a terrible accident.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/state&id=7460756

It is a tragic loss of life. But why do the police persist in chaseing people for a simple speeding ticket? Is this not one of the reasons we have plates on our cars, as a form of ID?

I have to agree although the loss is tragic.

The police do have an uncanny ability to defend their own till the end, sorry just the way it is.

maybe there will be police video from the involved cruiser if equipped, most tapes will be in the trunk.

I do not know all of the facts, but I will say that I have ridden along with cops many times and will admit that they drive like friggin idiots in many cases.

I was on the pass side in a cruiser once and the driver was flying down a side road, ran a stop sign with a blind road to the left.
I was scared shiftless and thought if a car was coming I would have been dead meat.
This sort of driving reminds me of my 85 year old grandmother having a stroke in the hills of Arkansas going about 90 in her '65 Mercury Cyclone GT. I just knew I was a goner.

okay the Buick was speeding....uhh...I've done that...not usually 80 in a 55 but..I have sped. The trooper comes after me someone turns in front of him and I'm at fault..heck I probably didn't even know this happened. Now if the Buick was leading him on a high speed chase knowing full well the officer was behind him, then yes he would be at fault. Though I may slow down to the legal speed if I see an officer flip around I would not pull over until the officer was directly behind me.

Running from the police is not a "mistake"; it's a conscious decision to do something stupid. If your decision causes harm to others, inadvertently or not, then you deserve to be punished as though you directly caused the harm yourself.

do we know if the guy knew they were chasing him? all it says was he was clocked doing 80 mph. sounds like it was as soon as the trooper turned around that he came to the intersection and hit the lady. the guy in the buik may not have even known they turned around to chase him.

if he was actually running its a totally different story. but we really don't know if he was running or not.

It is a tragic loss of life. But why do the police persist in chaseing people for a simple speeding ticket? Is this not one of the reasons we have plates on our cars, as a form of ID?

Because they are no longer police, but revenue road agents. It ain't about safety, it's about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Plain and simple.

From the story:

The Highway Patrol has not said how fast Goodnight was travelling

And probably never will.

"My question is, how could the car be hit so hard that the front end comes off," Allmond's son Gerald Allmond said in an interview Monday. "And is a hundred yards from the actual impact."

Because I'm betting Deputy Andy was going in excess of 90 MPH probably closer to a 100 to catch up with the speeder. I'll bet you that the dashcam mysteriously "malfunctioned" and there won't be any tape, though these new cars have some "black box" recorder in them so I hope that the car's data recorder doesn't also grow legs.

you go past a cop at 80 mph,,guess what he will chase you duh... The idiot is at fault,,,,no different than pulling a fake fire alarm and a firetruck wrecks and kills someone on the way to the fake scene... I hope the catch the SOB.....

Pfft, 80 in a 55 around here and the cops won't even give you a second glance.

I agree on the eluding and evading, he should be charged, but this may have been a simple speeding infraction and the cop made it what it was. We obviously don't know.

Tragic situation though and my heart goes out to the family.

the police don't think they are above the law, they just think it doesn't apply to them. thats how it seems around here anyway.

What if the speeder had an imminent medical emergency and was the daughter of a cop?

many possibilities.

Could also have been a crack ho running from her pimp, anywho i would hate to be the owner of a blue buick like that.

The Felony Murder Rule is B.S. Let's say I robbed a store and I was running from a cop on foot and I ran into a crowd of people to get away. The cop pulls out his gun and starts firing into the crowd in an attempt to stop me. Three other people get shot in the process, who's to blame? Sure, if I never robbed the store or ran from the cop this would not have happened, but does that give the cop permission to throw common sense and good judgement out the window?

This is why most states require cops to back off and/or stop pursuing in situations where someone could get hurt. Its up to the cop to use his judgement. As with most things, their egos get in the way though. If the cop drives beyond his ability or is careless and causes a crash, how is that the speeder's fault? The cop can call off the pursuit any time he sees fit.

Its plausible if not likely that the speeder didn't know he was being chased. Regardless, nothing will bring those people back from this tragedy. It's especially sad when children are involved.

The Lack of common sense. Now if I'm a copper and see someone speeding, am I just gonna pin it to the floot, spinning the tires, and bolting across two lanes of traffic( not saying thats what happened in this case). NO. I don't know what happened, but if I was the trooper in this case, I would be very aware of my surroundings. Cars and trucks can't always see you. When approaching an intersection, extra precaution should be taken. OH and that comment about cops and how they don't think the law applies to them is true. I've seen cops blow red lights, and speed. All that power goes to their heads. Not all cops are like this though. It's even worst when they lie, and video footage or an autopsy proves them wrong.

On two seperate incidents these past two weeks ( I'm working nights) I've seen Cops make, in my opinion, mistakes. The first was a city cop who was speeding and couldn't stop at a light in time so he hit the lights, ran the red and then shut his lights off. The second city cop was in the same speeding and couldn't stop situation, and instead he decided to turn his lights on and pull a car over that did nothing wrong to justify his running of the red light. My uncle was a Highway patrolman for a long time. I haven't ran in to many of them that were as bad. Around here the city cops are a bunch of punks. I could go on for days about the things I've seen them do that would get anyone else pulled over in a heartbeat. They all think they are above the law. And have forgetten the Serve portion of Serve and Protect. That's my story the end.

My heart goes out to the family for the loss.

hello people..... think about it. if the buick was doing 80, and the cop clocked him, well common sence says that by the time the cop even turns around, the buick would of been quite some distance from the cop. what? a mile ahead of him i would say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that does in no way mean that the guy was eluding. he may have not even seen the cop.

second, even after i posted on here that the buick never eluded from the cops, most of the posts after mine are still talking about him running. WAKE UP.LOL

he was NOT eluding, he was just speeding
and when a cop is trying to catch up to a speeder, it is not called chasing. that is a big mis-enterpretation. law enforcement call it "closing the gap" cause by the time the cop slows down, turns around, and finally gets up to even the same speed that the speeder is at, it would be quite a time lapse

I'll wager that Deputy Andy Adrenaline was doing 90-100 MPH when he attempted to fly through that intersection. There is no way you slice off the front of a car and have it land 100 yards away from impact without going at least that fast. Wasn't the old saying "you can outrun the police, but you can't outrun the radio"??? He should have slowed down and gotten on his radio and had another unit intercept. What happened here was another case of High-Speed Pursuit Syndrome.

-
Back