Axle bearing removal

-

TheGrateRonzini

Reaction score
So, got to the point of axles in Dana 60. Narrowed from a 78 Ford. Axles went in smooth. I got the brakes out for a mock up. Dr diff 10.7. Well it looks like I need to pull the axle bearing to put the caliper bracket on so they stack behind the hub and in front of the retainer plate. Custom axles came with bearings on already. Seems like I could do it with my press, but thought I would look for tips and tricks.
BBB4A951-4415-4461-A130-A98E81D173F0.jpeg

I’ve not used them but the bore on the bracket may be big enough so it will slip over bearing.

Good or bad idea I can't comment.... But you could cut out the bottom(about where your thumb is) of the bracket enough to fit over the axle shaft

Dubob, no such luck. I can get it over the bearing if I remove the clip. But not the retainer. I was contemplating placing them between the retainer and the axle end, but am shy a gasket on either side for that, and well not what I want to do.
Dana67, that thought crossed my mind also. Not really in to cutting it if I don’t have to. But if I can manage to, within proximity to bolt holes it may be my easiest way out

Don't cut anything or remove the wheel bearing snap-ring or 5-hole retainer.

The caliper bracket simply bolts in place of the drum brake backing plate.

Slip the caliper bracket over the housing end studs, place the dark gray gasket on the bracket, then install the axle.

In other words, mount the snap-ring between the caliper bracket and 5-hole wheel bearing retainer.

Here is the sequence of components, starting at the rearend housing:

1. Housing end (no gasket)
2. Aluminum caliper bracket (mounting ears facing rear of vehicle, offset facing inward)
3. Gray gasket
4. Assembled axle

Last edited:
Thanks Cass, I was weary on placing them between for lack of gaskets on both sides. But I suppose the O-ring on bearing and gasket on retainer takes care of the majority of what I was worried about. I figured the axles were drop shipped and everything else came from you and something was lost in communication. Sorry for not reaching out to you first! Thanks again Cass!!
855AF541-608F-46DE-A75E-4D3DE0384479.jpeg

Boy where are you guys coming up with these nice older Barracuda Bodies ?

Nice job on your project.

Got a 67 Dart here, all original panels on this one. Original Interior

0819172243.jpg

1205171939.jpg

67 Dart Interior.jpg

Next up, finish front fenders and get ready for paint.

Beautiful. I had the chance to see a Mr.Norms 68 GSS today. 383 auto. Racing green with double white trunk stripe. Jeez, your manifolds on that Dart are as close as my RB headers
722E48AB-B7BB-44B8-BC35-5BEC3D858B73.jpeg

I can tell you this, FWIW. IF you press those axle bearings off, you are supposed to get new press on retainers. They are supposed to be a one time use deal. I've known lots of people to reuse them and seen a few failures as a result. That would not be good.

I can tell you this, FWIW. IF you press those axle bearings off, you are supposed to get new press on retainers. They are supposed to be a one time use deal. I've known lots of people to reuse them and seen a few failures as a result. That would not be good.
This is why I was inquiring! I looked at the hub side and saw outer case and inner seal. No feasible way to press it off without applying pressure to the outer race. I was just dry fitting anyway, before I send the spring perches home.
F9E9A9FE-49F5-4C88-BAD3-14882CA28824.jpeg

-
Back