Axle bearing replacement ?

-

fastback383

Reaction score
Any one changed these before. Is there somewhere on the net that has a nice how to write up. I am going to tackle mine this weekend. I bought all the parts through a friend. I am hoping they are the non adjustible type (like the MP green ).Although they are a generic brand not MP. There stuff is too damn expensive anymore . I do not know how to tell by looking at them ? This is a new one for me . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanx, Dave.
383barracuda1rc.jpg

If it is a stock type bearing the outer race will come off the bearing to be pressed into the axle tube, also if is a stock type bearing it will be a tapered roller bearing. Green or non-adjustable race bearings are an assembly that can not come apart and usually have a thin snap ring or c-clip if you will on the O.D. of the race. Hope this helps a little.

Thanx, for the input. Just pulled the axles out tonight to have a look. I do not think I will waste the new bearings on them. The end of the axles , the splined part is all chewed up. It looks like I might have to buy a aftermarket set next summer. More money, it never ends.
106_0696.jpg

Hey Dave....the way you drive??? No wonder you don't have any splines left!

Why don't you put them sukkas back in there and meet me at Moparfest next Sunday.

I'm leaving St. Kitts about 10:00 am, should get just there before noon.

Jim

DSC07259-1 (Small).JPG

fastback383 said:
Thanx, for the input. Just pulled the axles out tonight to have a look. I do not think I will waste the new bearings on them. The end of the axles , the splined part is all chewed up. It looks like I might have to buy a aftermarket set next summer. More money, it never ends.
106_0696.jpg

Moser axles are the best bang for the buck. I love your car by the way. My first car was a 69 Barracuda with a 340, 727. B5 blue exterior, B5 blue interior. Have i mentioned I like your car?

LOL Thanks Joe. Bye the way , do you like my car ? I might add yours looks killer ! It's got a real mean stance to it. Looks fast sittin still. Hey Jim , i did put em back in. Gonna try to nurse it along the rest of the year. But I am gonna take it back to the track in 2 weeks, this 383 has to hit the low 13's or high 12's before I yank it out. I will be at Moparfest next week trying to flog some stuff to bankroll my next engine project. I have a nice 340 block and a done set of 71 340 heads for ya ?? Look me up , Dave.

img10768lu.jpg

This is my next project, just got crank back . I Need more money, I have to buy rings, and bearings then the assembly goes in for balancing. Lookin at a Racer Brown solid lifter cam in the .550 range .

Hey Dave: I just unexpectedly dropped $800 on my 904 this week. It needed a torque converter...so I had the pump rebuilt bla bla bla. It's really sweet now man. I need an exhaust next.

You should not have any trouble unloading those 340 heads. I plan on leaving my stock 340 alone for now.

The price I was quoted for aftermarket axles was $600 Cdn. I might smuggle a set in my golf bag from the U.S.The driver in my bag is the size of one of those axles. I might get away with it.

I need cash also but, don't have anything to sell right now.

DSC07265.JPG

I would just order some Moser axles and have them install the bearings and longs studs.

So when you spend $600 on axles they do not come with the bearings? Ouch.... But I believe that is the route I will be going next summer. Actually when I figure I have about $350 in a automatic shifter $600 for a set of axles is not bad. But I really need a GOOD set of headers first.

Take those amounts and double them. Thats what we pay in Canada. Suppliers here know what it costs for them to order them. They factor in all charges and all taxes, then pass the savings on to you...tsk tsk.

Dave, the $600 I was quoted for the axles did not include bearings!

I like Adams idea and be done with it. Gonna have to make a birthday wish.

Jim

DSC07628 (Small).JPG

-
Back